website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread

Dragon

il y a 2 minutes, AlFHg a dit :

I guess this will surely happen for sport teams. For individuals, they will have chances to proof they are clean

but does that mean that Russia will participate well under the neutral flag, and you know which sport will be concerned and when will it be done?

1 minute ago, Benolympique said:

but does that mean that Russia will participate well under the neutral flag, and you know which sport will be concerned and when will it be done?

You can immediately consider Russia out from team sports in which they qualified, so volleyball, 3x3 basketball and probably beach volleyball, because they represent "Russia" (probably, however, beach volley could be an exception). Also, they will be out from Olympic Qualification Tournaments, so I guess also women's basketball and men's basketball. Things are different for sports such as gymnastics, archery or rowing, for example, in which some individual competition exists and some legal ways to take part to Olympic Games may be found

How about Euro 2020 for which Russia qualified?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

You can immediately consider Russia out from team sports in which they qualified, so volleyball, 3x3 basketball and probably beach volleyball, because they represent "Russia" (probably, however, beach volley could be an exception). Also, they will be out from Olympic Qualification Tournaments, so I guess also women's basketball and men's basketball. Things are different for sports such as gymnastics, archery or rowing, for example, in which some individual competition exists and some legal ways to take part to Olympic Games may be found

What does this mean for handball? Like, what if Russia wins the women's World Championship in a couple of days, will the silver medalist get the quota?  

Edited by Vektor

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How about Euro 2020 for which Russia qualified?

I read that Russia can participate at EURO 2020 because it's not a multisport event and it's regional (European), not a World Championship. So I guess this ban only applies to World Championships and multisport events. 

16 minutes ago, Vektor said:

What does this mean for handball? Like, what if Russia wins the women's World Championship in a couple of days, will the silver medalist get the quota?  

I highly doubt that this will affect team quota places. Like Pyoengchang 2018, "cleared" athletes will be allowed to form a team called Whatever Athletes from Russia. That is, Russia will keep that places. I do not see any hint that the opposite will happen (plus IOC won't allow that Russia loses its team quota places)