website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread

Dragon

10 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Athletics, swimming and probably gymnastics will be held in USA evening prime time so you don't have to look far to see how NBC is holding the entire IOC hostage. Nobody gives a flying fuck about Europe and the rest of the world. The only thing that matters is US viewers. Talk about equal rights here :finger:

As much as I don't appreciate TV houses controlling the schedule, Europeans are controling the schedule just as much...

Majority of Pyeongchang 2018 program was adapted to favor the European audience. Ski jumping, biathlon, cross-country skiing, speed skating, luge, nordic combined... They all had evening and even night sessions. Basically the only outdoor sport with morning sessions was alpine skiing.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

As much as I don't appreciate TV houses controlling the schedule, Europeans are controling the schedule just as much...

Majority of Pyeongchang 2018 program was adapted to favor the European audience. Ski jumping, biathlon, cross-country skiing, speed skating, luge, nordic combined... They all had evening and even night sessions. Basically the only outdoor sport with morning sessions was alpine skiing.

In how many of these events USA had a pre-event medal favorite? Hell, even the speed skating turned out to be a complete bust as USA didn't win a single medal for the first time since 1984. How dare you compare ski jumping to athletics on the US market? :dunno:

Alpine skiing? Uh-oh! The names Vonn and Shiffrin kinda make it a more US-oriented event.

Edited by Monzanator

Just now, Monzanator said:

In how many of these events USA had a pre-event medal favorite? Hell, even the speed skating turned out to be a complete bust as USA didn't win a single medal for the first time since 1984. How dare you compare ski jumping to athletics on the US market? :dunno:

I am not talking about USA being good or bad in sports. I am talking about Olympic athletes having unusual and unfavorable schedule due to requests from TV houses. Europe is responsible for that as much as USA.

#banbestmen

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, I know. And so international authorities should just let it slide? No.

The international authorities are letting the War in Donbas slide just like they let the Georgian Invasion slide back in 2008. They won't annoy the Russian Empire too much or else more leaks will come out just like in the Salazar case. The Western world sure has some skeletons ready to fall out and they know the Russian hackers will respond in due manner.

Just now, dcro said:

I am not talking about USA being good or bad in sports. I am talking about Olympic athletes having unusual and unfavorable schedule due to requests from TV houses. Europe is responsible for that as much as USA.

I disagree. NBC has more power over the Olympic schedule than any European TV station and it's only to Europe's luck USA doesn't feature as much in some of the winter Olympic events like biathlon, ski jumping or cross country which are among the most popular in Europe instead.

19 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

And Water Polo and Handball (Americans like to pretend those sports don’t exist). I do agree that the US and UK are dominating the international sports scene a bit much, but that isn’t what this is about. 

Weird that you say Water Polo when US Women are basically unstoppable and won how many international tournaments in a row?

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

The international authorities are letting the War in Donbas slide just like they let the Georgian Invasion slide back in 2008. They won't annoy the Russian Empire too much or else more leaks will come out just like in the Salazar case. The Western world sure has some skeletons ready to fall out and they know the Russian hackers will respond in due manner.

Ok.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

43 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Weird that you say Water Polo when US Women are basically unstoppable and won how many international tournaments in a row?

Right. Does any channel actually broadcast water polo matches in USA outside of the Olympics? :lol:

On 26/11/2019 at 05:48, Olympian1010 said:

Gentlemen, all are nice opinions. I agree with Russian way of thinking. Just like chinese. They will never change. I have been here for 5 years and I am afraid in the sports sphere there is something similar like in Russia. 

Well, let's wait what December 9th shows. WADA has the last word which must be respected by all other organisations including IOC. Of course, they can sue WADA and go to CAS. Not sure if that might help. But I suppose on December 9th we all might be surprised or shocked by the final decision.