website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2022

Totallympics

The Hungarian media is divided on our performance, the state controlled media is quite positive, the independent media is negative on the Hungarian results. Personally I think we did fine. Milák being the only Hungarian medal winner in the pool was expected, this already happened in Tokyo. Our current gen of swimmers simply aren't on the level of Hosszú, Gyurta and Cseh. Milák is the only exception. And it doesn't help that Késely turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of the last decade for Hungarian swimming. 

I would say that as long as we win medals, it's fine. The bigger issue for Hungary is the overall potential medal performance in Paris, which I think doesn't look good at the moment. If the next SOG was this year, I very much that we would reach the heights of the previous three Summer Games. 2 years to go until Paris, Hungary needs to improve in various disciplines or Paris will be quite bad for us. 

On 6/25/2022 at 9:07 PM, Topicmaster1010 said:

2017 World Championships: 130 pages of replies

2019 World Championships: 143 pages

This year's World Championships: 23 pages

:mumble:

It also doesn't help we have had 2 Olympic Games in the last 10 months. I also feel like the Olympics are just finished, even if Tokyo was almost a year ago.

Also, in my mind I link the Aquatics World Championships to the month of July, and with them being in June I feel they are different than the other editions :d There are some new users who recently joined so I am confident the Paris 2024 hype will start soon :yes

The hype was quite low even here in Hungary for this WCh. You can sense that this was a last minute thing and not everyone took it seriously. Having three WChs in one and a half year is a terrible idea from FINA, they should have cancelled the 2022 edition after Japan refused to host it this year. 

2022 should have been the "quiet" year for the Olympic cycle, as usual, the year without WChs, where the FIFA World Cup is the main event and the big Olympic sports only have EChs. Now 2022 is way too crowded with events, while at the same time none of them truly feel special because we just had two Olympic Games in a short amount of time. 

3 minutes ago, Vektor said:

The hype was quite low even here in Hungary for this WCh. You can sense that this was a last minute thing and not everyone took it seriously. Having three WChs in one and a half year is a terrible idea from FINA, they should have cancelled the 2022 edition after Japan refused to host it this year. 

To be fair to Budapest, even though it might have been overkill in the grand picture, the event was excellent in terms of atmosphere and such, the organizers definitely did a good job.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I would try harder to watch this if it was like in athletics, where you have to be in the top-x to go through. But it isn't, and that results in swimming heats often feeling rather boring to me, nothing ever really happens other than a very rare case of someone failing to qualify. Which often doesn't happen in an 'exciting moment', but just in one of the heats and then later it turns out to not be fast enough, oh well :p 

A quick click through the PDF's of Omega Timing work well enough for me nowadays for heat sessions :d 

Quite a few events had exciting heats in Tokyo with fast times but yes this year the heats were a total bore.