website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2022

Totallympics

17 hours ago, Quasit said:

Yeah, and somebody used to say Italian sport is dying. :d 

Would only be logical, given their financial situation, but Italy and Spain would rather beg the EU for more money than to cut down on nonsensical expenditures like elite sports. Of course it also helped that they reinstalled their doping program. I guess they got tired of being everyone‘s punching bag.

Italian Gold medals in athletics at the 2020 Olympics: 5

Italian Gold medals in athletics at the previous 8 Olympics combined: 4

All of a sudden they can even develop world class sprinters like Jacobs or Ceccon.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

All of a sudden they can even develop world class sprinters like Jacobs or Ceccon.

Ceccon isn't too surprising. His progression up until now has been quite consistent and if he were Australian he'd own the 15, 16, 17 and 18 years age records in the 100 back.

8 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Maybe you're right that these worlds were not as exciting as some previous ones, and they were very badly promoted, but still now when they're finished I already miss the competition.

Good thing was that you could watch them on Polish tv and internet live, very easily.

Two medals for Poland, one of them in an olympic event, couldn't ask for more.

Some great races, men's 4x100 medley was the most fun for me.

Some controversies, as always. But some great swims as well.

I regret the most that we couldn't watch Chalmers vs Popovici in 100 free final. But maybe next time.

Now waiting for Eugene... But that won't be so easy to watch due to 9-hours time difference...

Luckily it is the 21st century in which watching on demand is way easier than before. However, combining work and my wish to watch the “morning” sessions makes it a bit harder.

I also don’t really watch the morning sessions for the swimming these days, which I did when I was back in University. Growing old and being responsible, I bet. It also didn’t help that Dutch TV wasn’t showing them, although I could have used the EBU. Maybe that was the reason I rarely saw the Spanish flag these days..

1 hour ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Luckily it is the 21st century in which watching on demand is way easier than before.

Sure. But I meant - it will be hard to watch the most interesting athletics finals LIVE.

It is not so simple for me anymore to wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. to watch sports live like I did in the university times. Lots of work during the day… need to have some rest first.

23 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

2017 World Championships: 130 pages of replies

2019 World Championships: 143 pages

This year's World Championships: 23 pages

:mumble:

Sadly this isn't something new. There has been a slump for some time now. Tokyo and Beijing still had respectable numbers, but not on the level of previous Games.

After Tokyo was the first downtrend, which was always expected, after such a big event and people needing some time off and to take a breather. Usually things rebounded in 2 months for the start of the winter season, but even this last winter season, excluding the Olympics, felt empty for the most part. And then the war came and activity just took a nosedive..

I can add myself to the list of people, that are more busy than before and want to do/watch different things, but i still try to follow and watch the sports as much, as possible. But to be honest, when i come here and see, that there isn't much discussion going on about the different events, i'm not too eager to leave a comment as well and just browse through.. Hope things change and can go back to normal. 

14 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I also don’t really watch the morning sessions for the swimming these days, which I did when I was back in University. Growing old and being responsible, I bet.

I would try harder to watch this if it was like in athletics, where you have to be in the top-x to go through. But it isn't, and that results in swimming heats often feeling rather boring to me, nothing ever really happens other than a very rare case of someone failing to qualify. Which often doesn't happen in an 'exciting moment', but just in one of the heats and then later it turns out to not be fast enough, oh well :p 

A quick click through the PDF's of Omega Timing work well enough for me nowadays for heat sessions :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Sadly this isn't something new. There has been a slump for some time now. Tokyo and Beijing still had respectable numbers, but not on the level of previous Games.

After Tokyo was the first downtrend, which was always expected, after such a big event and people needing some time off and to take a breather. Usually things rebounded in 2 months for the start of the winter season, but even this last winter season, excluding the Olympics, felt empty for the most part. And then the war came and activity just took a nosedive..

I can add myself to the list of people, that are more busy than before and want to do/watch different things, but i still try to follow and watch the sports as much, as possible. But to be honest, when i come here and see, that there isn't much discussion going on about the different events, i'm not too eager to leave a comment as well and just browse through.. Hope things change and can go back to normal. 

Plus, to be fair, the entire concept of online forums is just not exactly on the rise anymore. Personally I should simply enter threads of things I watch a bit more, instead of going to Totallympics.com, seeing the latest replies being in a bunch of relatively small events which I simply don't really have an interest in and thinking "ah never mind" :p 

Tour de France and athletics world championships coming up, I still have hope :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I would try harder to watch this if it was like in athletics, where you have to be in the top-x to go through. But it isn't, and that results in swimming heats often feeling rather boring to me, nothing ever really happens other than a very rare case of someone failing to qualify. Which often doesn't happen in an 'exciting moment', but just in one of the heats and then later it turns out to not be fast enough, oh well :p 

A quick click through the PDF's of Omega Timing work well enough for me nowadays for heat sessions :d 

I agree. Although the main reason for me to watch the morning sessions in athletics are the combined sessions. The fact that there are 16 swimmers through on most events also doesn't help with the surprise factor. That's why I feel the only heats that are really worthwile are the 400 Free heats. At 800/1500 the competition is too small, the relays rarely see USA or AUS out, and the 400 IM is just not as competetive, although it is surely second best.