website statistics

Wrestling 2019 Discussion Thread

MHSN

• 2 weeks later...

A legend is saying goodbye. Three-time olympic champion, Saori Yoshida, has announced her retirement.  

From her twitter:

"Thank you for always rooting for Saori Yoshida," the Japanese grappler said.

"This time, we decided to break the life of the wrestler for 33 years. I have been working hard as an active wrestler for a long time, thanks to the support of many people. Thank you very much everyone."

The 36-year-old won Olympic gold at Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012, with her first Games defeat coming at the hands of Helen Maroulis in the Rio 2015 53kg final.

Only compatriot Kaori Icho has more Olympic wrestling titles.

Yoshida also claimed 13 consecutive world titles up to 2015, making her the most successful wrestler - male or female - of all time.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1073994/thirteen-time-uww-world-champion-and-triple-olympic-gold-medallist-yoshida-retires

Edited by wumo26

On 09/01/2019 at 11:13, wumo26 said:

A legend is saying goodbye. Three-time olympic champion, Saori Yoshida, has announced her retirement.  

From her twitter:

"Thank you for always rooting for Saori Yoshida," the Japanese grappler said.

"This time, we decided to break the life of the wrestler for 33 years. I have been working hard as an active wrestler for a long time, thanks to the support of many people. Thank you very much everyone."

The 36-year-old won Olympic gold at Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012, with her first Games defeat coming at the hands of Helen Maroulis in the Rio 2015 53kg final.

Only compatriot Kaori Icho has more Olympic wrestling titles.

Yoshida also claimed 13 consecutive world titles up to 2015, making her the most successful wrestler - male or female - of all time.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1073994/thirteen-time-uww-world-champion-and-triple-olympic-gold-medallist-yoshida-retires

Sad news but i expected that. 38 in Tokyo,her chances would be very small.

At least my favorite Kaori Icho is still here. 

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

nothing, as far as I know the gold medalist Artur Taymazov lost his gold medal from 2008 and not this one (at least so far)

Modzmanishvili silver medal will go to the monster Bilyal Makhov of Russia and Makhov's bronze medal will go to Daulet Shabanbay of Kazakhstan.

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

nothing, as far as I know the gold medalist Artur Taymazov lost his gold medal from 2008 and not this one (at least so far)

Modzmanishvili silver medal will go to the monster Bilyal Makhov of Russia and Makhov's bronze medal will go to Daulet Shabanbay of Kazakhstan.

My mistake, sorry, I had him disqualified from the wrong Olympics.

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

My mistake, sorry, I had him disqualified from the wrong Olympics.

but that was a good question I have to check UWW rules. I won't be surprised to see him disqualifying from this Olympics too. he was known in wrestling community as a master of doping. apparently his brother (Timur Taymazov Olympic gold medalist in weightlifting from Ukraine) was his personal doping coach.

On 17/01/2019 at 13:33, Dragon said:

Typo in 25, where 2018 should be 2019? :p

vxFaM2k.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

it's always hard to find news about Cuba. but we had Greco Takhti Cup in Iran couple days ago and there was a Cuban team there including two time world bronze medalist Oscar Pino and some Iranian journalists asked him about the great Mijain Lopez and what he is doing. according to Pino, Lopez is not retied yet and will try his chance for his 5th Olympics and probably his 4th gold medal which will make him the greatest wrestler ever ! (Aleksander Karelin has 3 gold and 1 silver) we don't see Lopez these days because he is too heavy to make 130kg mark so many times. but he will do that for the Olympics ! Pino himself claims he will try his best to beat Lopez and get selected for the Cuban team but he wasn't very optimistic the way I read his interview.

Pino himself is a gold medal candidate, so if Lopez beats him to make the Cuban team, it means he will win the gold probably.