website statistics

Volleyball 2019 Discussion Thread

VolleyRuller96

:USA withdrew from hosting the 2020 Nation's League finals, because the date ( 1-5 july) would interfere with their Independence Day :wall: Come on, I understand patriotism, but withdrawing less than a year before the competition starts is just so low :wall:

Also in related news, another great idea came from the brilliant minds of FIVB, who demands a fee of ONE MILLION DOLLAR from the federations that want to replace the U.S as host

Something tells me they will push the hosting to Poland again after they realize how ridiculous their demands are and that noone is going to apply for hosting rights once agaIn :rolleyes:

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

The German Supercup match between SCC Berlin and VFB Friedrichshfen was played on specially installed LED-panel floor, covered in invisible anti-slip glass. This type of floor was tested earlier in some minor sports, like squash, however this is the first time it was tested during a important game of any Olympic team sport, so it was a bit of a historical event.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

Wow, all those screaming things like BLOCK and changing colors all the time looks annoying as hell :yikes:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

The German Supercup match between SCC Berlin and VFB Friedrichshfen was played on specially installed LED-panel floor, covered in invisible anti-slip glass. This type of floor was tested earlier in some minor sports, like squash, however this is the first time it was tested during a important game of any Olympic team sport, so it was a bit of a historical event.

All for this. Put it in the Olympics please. I would like to see them add “line-out” technology though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

What's the advantage if they're not using sensors for whether or not a ball is out?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch federation will announce the new women's coach this afternoon. No name is known yet, but they said "bringing an Italian dictionary could be useful" :p

Apparently, this will be the new coach.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Caprara

• 3 weeks later...

We will observe a historic night today since :POR Benfica Lisboa and :CRO Mladost Zagreb will clash in the 1st leg of the 3-rd round men's Champions League qualification fixture. This is the final qualifying stage, the winner will get to play pool C (with :ITA Sir Collusi Sicoma Perugia, :POL Verva Orlen Warszawa and :FRA Tours VB).

It is important to note that neither Portugal or Croatia had qualified a team to the group stage of the Champions League since this tournament replaced European Cup Winner's Cup in 2000.

(Also I'm now browsing results of older competitions and am starting to regret I wasn't around to watch the ECWC matches in the 90's, it seemed too have a much better format and more teams, not to mention a team from :SMR almost made it to the group stage  in 1997 :yikes:)

1 hour ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

We will observe a historic night today since :POR Benfica Lisboa and :CRO Mladost Zagreb will clash in the 1st leg of the 3-rd round men's Champions League qualification fixture. This is the final qualifying stage, the winner will get to play pool C (with :ITA Sir Collusi Sicoma Perugia, :POL Verva Orlen Warszawa and :FRA Tours VB).

It is important to note that neither Portugal or Croatia had qualified a team to the group stage of the Champions League since this tournament replaced European Cup Winner's Cup in 2000.

(Also I'm now browsing results of older competitions and am starting to regret I wasn't around to watch the ECWC matches in the 90's, it seemed too have a much better format and more teams, not to mention a team from :SMR almost made it to the group stage  in 1997 :yikes:)

As of now, Benfica is very close to a historic debut, because they beat Mladost 3-0 in the 1st game.