website statistics

Volleyball 2019 Discussion Thread

VolleyRuller96

Iran federation will demand apology and punishment from Poland, after Michal Kubiak`s shameful words about Iran.

During one of the episodes of polish podecast "prawda siatki" Kubiak insulted Iranians, by calling them a nation of "vile, rude, disgusting people" , that "proudly calls themselves Persians, not Arabs, but really are the same lot"an that "in his eyes the nation of Persians doesn't exist." 

Although the episode promotly got deleted, and Kubiak tries to explain himself by saying some of the players from Iran insulted him, for me there's nothing that could excuse those words against an entire nation.

Maybe I could understand it a bit more or react in another way if it was Lemanski, Klos, Bieniek or anyone else from our NT said that.

But Kubiak is one of the biggest a**holes in modern volleyball. Dude keeps trying to provoke opponents in almost every game, but as always makes massive drama when someone pushes back at him, and is just overly narcistic and egoistic. He may be our NT captain, but I have always found him annoying, to say the least.

I would like to apologize to Iranian users of Totallympics :(

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

I am going to sound more and more negative, but FIVB has just confirmed the new qualification system for the FIVB World Championship

1) Top 2 of each continental championship qulaify to World Champs

2) Only 24 not yet qualified teams will be able to compete for the 12 remaining spots.

While the first point seems to be a step in the right direction, the second one is ridiculous and basically eliminates all sorts of competition in volleyball, and is very very bad news for countries such as :GER, :KOR , :MEX and nearly 150 different countries which participated in this edition's qualification tournaments, but may not get any chance to qualify at all if they don't perform well in the continental championship . And. FIVB knows very well that for many poor countries from Africa or the Caribbeans the World Championship qualifiers are the only tournament they can present themselves, many simply can't afford to participate in continental qualification AND   Continental Championship AND another qualification tournament (if they get enough ranking points). This is all to make sure the "proper" a.k.a rich teams qualify.

This is yet another step in turning volleyball into a farce. First, they turn World League into a circus no one gives a damn about and top teams send their Z team to compete, knowing well that even if they lose all games 0-3 they won't be relegated, then more and more pathetic Olympic qualification systems, and now this. Not to mention their stupid PPV streaming system :wall:

If i was a conspiracy theorist, I'd think that there is someone in  the FIVB who just doesn't like  how many new NT's appeared in Volleyball recently (Iran, Germany, Slovenia, Belgium, Canada, even France) and just wants volley to stay this sport dominated by Poland, Brazil, Russia, and Italy it used to be a decade ago.

Sometimes I wish I could just switch to another sport :(

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

• 3 weeks later...

082653c6h3inval4hhl3xx.png

:TUR:BLR and :ESP qualified for the final four tournament, alongside with the hosts::EST. If the rules from last year still aply, :FIN should be relegated to Silver League, as they were the worst 4-th placed team.

More fuel for conspiracy theories

In 2015 and 2016, the Argentina women's national team always got better results than Peru, be it at South American tournaments, World Cup or World Grand Prix.

Then the 2017 World Grand Prix, Argentina lost to Peru 3-1 and 22nd, one place behind. But Argentina got invited to the 2018 Nations League. They won just 5 sets in 15 matches and were relegated.

At the 2017 South American Championship they lost to Peru 3-0 and Colombia 3-2. Months later they did win the South American qualifier to enter the 2018 World Championship, where they finished 19th.

At the 2018 Pan American Cup, Argentina lost to Colombia and also ranked behind Peru. However, they got a wildcard for the 2019 Pan American Games, skipping any qualifier.

Argentina also skipped any qualifier to enter the 2019 Challenger Cup and 2019 World Cup, as the world rankings were used as criteria.

In fact, Argentina is ranked 11th, as they get many points for having qualified to the 2015 World Cup and 2016 Olympics.

And they will keep their advantage over Peru and Colombia as long as they keep getting invitations to points-rich tournaments.

12 minutes ago, NaBUru38 said:

At the 2018 Pan American Cup, Argentina lost to Colombia and also ranked behind Peru. However, they got a wildcard for the 2019 Pan American Games, skipping any qualifier.

That's because there was no other south american team interested in this, I think? Brazil, Colombia and Peru were already qualified.

This happens a lot in other sports, like Brazil in women's Basketball that had a good ranking for many years thanks to past results. But eventually the team continued with shitty results and now isn't "favoured" anymore. But that's not totally like Argentina, since they can win against any south american team (other than Brazil) when it really matters. Eventually I can see Colombia fighting for 2nd best team of South America - I have more faith in them than Peru, which almost always disappoint (Pan Am Games in Lima will be a good test for them, especially because many nations will go with B teams).

hace 18 minutos, NaBUru38 dijo:

And they will keep their advantage over Peru and Colombia as long as they keep getting invitations to points-rich tournaments.

Colombia and Perú keep losing to Argentina in all the relevant matches (The qualifications for OG and WCh). Those are the only serious matches, in which the teams play with all their best players. The big ranking points are also in those two tournaments, not in pan am cup, grand prix, whatever. That doesn't matter.

If Colombia and Perú want to prove they worth, they should do in the upcoming south american olympic qualifiers. If they lose again... they deserve to be there.

Horrible news :( Miguel Angel Falasca, coach of Volley Monza has suffered a heart attack and died. He was only 46 :cry:

On 19/06/2019 at 01:54, NaBUru38 said:

In 2015 and 2016, the Argentina women's national team always got better results than Peru, be it at South American tournaments, World Cup or World Grand Prix.

Then the 2017 World Grand Prix, Argentina lost to Peru 3-1 and 22nd, one place behind. But Argentina got invited to the 2018 Nations League. They won just 5 sets in 15 matches and were relegated.

At the 2017 South American Championship they lost to Peru 3-0 and Colombia 3-2. Months later they did win the South American qualifier to enter the 2018 World Championship, where they finished 19th.

Argentina also skipped any qualifier to enter the 2019 Challenger Cup and 2019 World Cup, as the world rankings were used as criteria.

In fact, Argentina is ranked 11th, as they get many points for having qualified to the 2015 World Cup and 2016 Olympics.

Same in Europe for Russia (women).
They still have their World Cup points from 2015, therefore they have a very easy group to qualify for the Olympics. Other European countries like Germany, Belgium, Netherlands are way better at this moment, but won't qualify for the Olympics. After this Olympic cycle, Russia still will be in the top 8 or something, just because they will earn at least points from the Olympic games.