website statistics

Judo 2019 Discussion Thread

George_D

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Werent they suspended because they didnt let Israelis in to a shooting competition? 

The ban on Kuwaiti NOC was done first, the refusal of letting Israeli in the shooting championships later led to the removal of Olympic qualifying tournament status of that championship.

Edited by Griff88

Just now, phelps said:

I hope nobody get hurt too much after that...but I'm not so sure this story is gonna have a happy ending...

Not that it'd help other Iranian athletes or something, but I'm hoping for a Mollaei vs Muki Olympic final.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, phelps said:

I'm hoping for a Mollaei vs Muki semifinal (or bronze medal match)...

I hope Gold goes to Italy...always...:p

Meh, it'd be a lot less symbolic if it's anything but the final :p Sorry Frank de Wit, you can fight for bronze.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, phelps said:

thanks for sharing...

I'm trying to understand all points of view (Mollaei's, IRI federation's, IRI politicians'...all of them), but I have the bitter feeling that this situation has been and still is being managed in the worst possible way by all the actors, especially IJF, who are trying to do something they really shouldn't, i.e. mixing politics with sports...

I hope nobody get hurt too much after that...but I'm not so sure this story is gonna have a happy ending...

I understand Mollaei, I personally don't blame him even though he is exaggerating things to get IJF's support. and obviously he is lying about losing the semifinal on purpose (in a new interview to some Persian media he talks about Casse like he is such a weak Judoka and he can beat Casse any day)  and beside that Israel isn't his only reason for doing that. he had other personal problems with Miresmaeili (the current Iran judo federation president) and he will do everything to hurt Miresmaeili as much as possible.

Iran Sport federations are just following the orders,  I'm quite sure nobody is happy about it. Miresmaeili himself is the biggest victim of this policy. he was bigger than Mollaei at the time. I heared from first hand witnesses about what happened to him in Athens the night of the Olympics draw . (and he was supposed to carry the flag the next day in opening ceremony)

the politician's point of view ? oh I doubt they even think. one stupid person said something 40 years ago and they are just following without even thinking about what they are going to gain from such stupid policy. 40 years ago it wasn't a big problem because there were only 1 or 2 possible matchup with Israel in 4 years Olympic cycle but we know it's different nowadays.

btw Iran NOC sent a letter to IOC protesting about IJF mixing sports and politics ! (that's a bit funny I know)

and IJF changed its twitter to ISupportMollaei, I think they will really make a nice Hollywood movie from this with Vizer being the hero for saving Mollaei's life. probably taking a bullet for him.

Edited by MHSN

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Not entirely true. I'd miss the athletes who are forced to lose and whose careers are sabotaged by petty politics.

Some of them very much believe in those policies. I’d be okay losing those ones.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela