website statistics

Equestrian 2019 Discussion Thread

dcro

Yesterday Pau witnessed possibly the most ridiculous cross-country stop in history. :yikes:

:GBR James Pikney apparently lost all control over his horse, who then drifted to the right and basically attempted to jump over 3+ meters high wall!!! :yikes: :hairpull: Thankfully, there were no serious consequences, but that horse proved himself to be ridiculously brave.

Incident happens just after 2:49:00 mark.

#banbestmen

Brave...stupid...it all depends on how you look at it :p

WqvKaZx.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

More on the incident.

“He just jumped so well over [27] that it took the rein completely out of my hand,” explains Jack, who  leaned down to try to regain it. “I could never catch it again – I tried to pull on the martingale to slow him, and that’s where you see me trying to reach for the rein [in the video]. But the rein was hanging, and I couldn’t catch it.”

Just beyond fence 27, a large dividing wall – roughly ten feet high – opened into an archway to usher horses and riders into the final wooded section of the course. Still without his left rein, Jack felt Raphael lock onto the wall as though it was an obstacle.

“Being a very brave horse with confidence in our partnership, he eyed up the wooden dividing wall between two parts of the course, and there was nothing I could do. He took off at it, I fell off backwards and he galloped off,” says Jack, who landed on his feet as his horse attempted to clear the wall, instead crashing into it and landing on his hindquarters, quickly uprighting himself and cantering away.

Much of the criticism on social media has been directed at the two seconds of footage immediately after the fall, which show Jack throwing his whip to the ground as his horse canters away. But this, he says, isn’t indicative of any anger towards his horse – instead, it was a visceral reaction to how the situation could have panned out.

“At that moment, I was so angry with myself – I thought, ‘I could have hurt my horse’. Any reaction from me was just upset with myself,” he explains. “I made a massive mistake – your adrenaline’s up, you’re going, and you’re wanting to finish, and as a competitor that’s what you do. But then, if you could take a breath when you finish it, you start to think that would could have happened could have been so much worse, and that’s when you think, ‘I should have pulled up.’”

After tending to his mount, Jack took himself to the ground jury, professing his responsibility for the entire incident. He has received an official warning.

“I told them that I’m completely guilty; I have nothing to hide,” he says. “I made a mistake, and I’ve learnt from it – I won’t ever do it again.”

Despite the intensity of the backlash, Jack tells us that his overwhelming feeling is relief that his partner, Raphael is unhurt.

“He’s totally sound and happy, with just a small cut on his face,” he says. “We trotted him up this morning and he was absolutely fine, so I’m so relieved. He’s such a gent, and he just wants to please – I’ll probably never ride a horse like him again, and I know him so well. If I’d been on something else, I’d have thought differently. From the bottom of my heart, I didn’t want it to be dangerous, and I’m so sorry.”

https://eventingnation.com/jack-pinkney-speaks-out-after-pau-fall-i-was-so-angry-with-myself/

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

Bids for 2022, decisions will be made this month.

All disciplines (World Equestrian Games):
Pratoni del Vivaro (Rome), Elementa (Rome) and Isola della Scala (Verona) (ITA)
Saudi Equestrian Federation, Riyadh (KSA)

Multi-discipline:
Dubai Equestrian Club (UAE) — showjumping and endurance
Herning (DEN) — showjumping, dressage, para dressage
WestWorld of Scottsdale, Arizona (USA) — reining and vaulting

Endurance only:
Jazdecký Klub Napoli, Samorin (SVK)
Stichting Endurancesport, Ermelo (NED)
Padise Equestrian Centre (EST)

Driving only:
National Stud of Szilvásvárad (HUN)

Eventing only:
Millstreet Equestrian Services, Millstreet (IRL)

---

I can only image, a world championships in an Olympic sport (even if it's not an Olympic event) in basically the next town over where I could easily go by bike :yikes: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I can only image, a world championships in an Olympic sport (even if it's not an Olympic event) in basically the next town over where I could easily go by bike :yikes:

And it's endurance, so they could even go straight to your town. :d

#banbestmen

19 minutes ago, dcro said:

And it's endurance, so they could even go straight to your town. :d

How long is the race? Because it should be pretty well connected through the forest I think, there's usually plenty of 'horse paths' whenever I cycle through there :p 

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

How long is the race? Because it should be pretty well connected through the forest I think, there's usually plenty of 'horse paths' whenever I cycle through there :p 

It's 160 km at WCh level. However, the distance is divided into several different loops (20-40 km long) which all start and finish in the main stadium.

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's 160 km at WCh level. However, the distance is divided into several different loops (20-40 km long) which all start and finish in the main stadium.

A 20-40 kilometer loop could easily be made to come over to my town (or well, the 'forest side' of the highway / the other side is mostly just...you know, town) :p