website statistics

Fencing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

5th for Eleanor Harvey (WR #4), and 11th for Jessica Guo (WR #8) :CAN at the Women’s Foil Grand Prix in Cairo, Egypt :EGY

Guo lost to Pauline Ranvier :FRA

(14-11) in the Table Of 16, while Harvey lost to Martina Batini :ITA (15-13) in the Table Of 8. 

A pretty good result if you ask me, although I do wish they made it onto the podium :d

Kelleigh Ryan (WR #35) finished in 63rd, losing in the Table Of 64 to Ysaora Thibus (15-10)

Other Results: Yunjia Zhang 52, Sabrina Fang T57, Jane Caufield 88, Nadia Hayes 126, Jessie Chen 130

Edited by Josh

• 4 months later...

So I was looking at the Fencing Olympic Qualifying Rankings today. Was incredibly shocked to see how many Canadian athletes are currently in qualifying positions. Here's a rundown: 

(I believe if you qualify a team, you also qualify three athletes individually, but if anyone wants to correct me on that ;))

# = Rank in OQR

Women's Team Foil (3) - Eleanor Harvey, Jessica Guo, Sabrina Fang

Women's Foil - Eleanor Harvey (#7), Jessica Guo (#20), Sabrina Fang (#29) 

Notably no Kelleigh Ryan, as she can't seem to find her previous form. 

Women's Team Epee (4) - Ruien Xiao, Leonora MacKinnon, Marie-Frederique Millette

Women's Epee- Ruien Xiao (#10), Leonora MacKinnon (#56, qualified through team event), Marie-Frederique Millette (#92, qualified through team event)

Women's Sabre (1) - Pamela Brind'Amour (#12) 

Next highest Canadian is Tamar Gordon (#38), don't know where Gabriella Page is though. 

Men's Team Foil (4) - Blake Brozus, Maximilien Van Haaster, Patrick Liu

Men's Foil- Blake Brozus (#31, qualified through team event), Maximilien Van Haaster (#34, qualified through team event), Patrick Liu (#35, qualified through team event)

Alex Cai doesn't seem to feature on the Olympic Rankings.

Men's Epee (1) - If Venezuela qualifies as one of the top-ranked nations, Canada will most likely grab the continental quota. For now, only Nicholas Zhang is expected to compete in Paris. 

Men's Team Sabre (4) - Fares Arfa, Shaul Gordon, Francois Cauchon

Men's Sabre- Fares Arfa (#27), Shaul Gordon (#38, qualified through team event), Francois Cauchon (#46, qualified through team event)

We qualified 9 for Tokyo 2020, and right now are in a position to qualify 14 for Paris 2024. Of course, it's still early stages though, anything can change. 

Edited by Josh

• 5 months later...