website statistics

Boxing 2019 Discussion Thread

mihamiha

Last weekend, Gvozdyk and Abdukakhorov won their matches.

In two weeks:

Friday 12 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles:

• Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Anthony Crolla (WBO and WBA (Super) lightweight titles)
  • Gilberto Ramirez vs. Tommy Karpency (light heavyweight)

Saturday 13 at Minneapolis:

• Sergiy Derevyanchenko vs. Jack Culcay (IBF middleweight eliminator)

Saturday 13 at Monterrey

• Jaime Munguia vs. Dennis Hogan (WBO light middleweight title)
  • Diego de la Hoya (#8 at 122) vs. Enrique Bernache (featherweight)

• 2 weeks later...

Lomachenko knocked out Crolla in round 4, as Ramírez did to Karpency.

Derevyanchenko won on unanimous decision.

Munguia defeated Hogan on majority decision.

De la Hoya knocked down Bernache.

In women's boxing, Claressa Shields defeated Christina Hammer and is the undisputed middleweight champion.

Next weekend:

Saturday 20 at the Madison Square Garden in New York:

• Terence Crawford vs Amir Khan (WBO welterweight title)

Saturday 20 at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Los Ángeles:

• Danny Garcia vs Adrián Granados (WBC Silver welterweight)

@MHSN Any media attention in Iran about Sadaf Khadem? I read she became the first Iranian woman ever to compete in boxing this week (in France), but now has cancelled her trip back to Iran........because she'd be arrested there either for boxing or for boxing without hijab :facepalm: (of course that's what media here is reporting, I'm hoping there's some nuance to this..)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

@MHSN Any media attention in Iran about Sadaf Khadem? I read she became the first Iranian woman ever to compete in boxing this week (in France), but now has cancelled her trip back to Iran........because she'd be arrested there either for boxing or for boxing without hijab :facepalm: (of course that's what media here is reporting, I'm hoping there's some nuance to this..)

this is 99% nonsense (I can't say 100% but in Iran you never can be really sure) she is just someone desperate for attention.

not much media attention about her inside Iran, (of course Persian media outside of Iran as usual take these kind of news seriously) because nobody knew her at all until few days ago. just some announcement denying that bold part . of course she can't be representing the IR Iran without Hejab :wall: but doing something "without Hejab in another country" is not illegal and she won't have any problem traveling back to Iran. but of course she has other reasons spreading such news. we will see her getting French citizenship (or somewhere else) soon just because of that. and after that she will travel back to Iran happily to see her family :d that's usually the plan.

Edited by MHSN

9 minutes ago, MHSN said:

this is 99% nonsense (I can't say 100% but in Iran you never can be really sure) she is just someone desperate for attention.

not much media attention about her inside Iran, (of course Persian media outside of Iran as usual take these kind of news seriously) because nobody knew her at all until few days ago. just some announcement denying that bold part . of course she can't be representing the IR Iran without Hejab :wall: but doing something "without Hejab in another country" is not illegal and she won't have any problem traveling back to Iran. but of course she has other reasons spreading such news. we will see her getting French citizenship (or somewhere else) soon just because of that. and after that she will travel back to Iran happily to see her family :d that's usually the plan.

Thanks. Well, true or not, I do like seeing a woman from Iran starting to compete in a 'new sport', so there's that :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Thanks. Well, true or not, I do like seeing a woman from Iran starting to compete in a 'new sport', so there's that :p 

I assume there are lots of Iranian-born athletes representing other countries in those new sport. that doesn't count to me. like this one. you can say Iranian women competing when they represent Iran and be recognized by Iranian federation. btw there are talks about starting women's boxing in Iran though and they were talking with AIBA for a dress code for that. even though considering current huge budget cut, I assume our boxing federation postponed those plans for now. :cry:

• 1 month later...

justice is done! finally!!! :cheer:

the first man that entered the ring without being scared to death already before the start of the fight just destroyed the always overestimated Anthony Joshua...:evil::pope:

and it didn't even need someone like superman to do it, it was just a Big Belly like me to knock him down 4 times in 7 rounds of boxing before the ref did show some mercy and did stop the contest...:whistle: