website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread

OlympicIRL

One for today, which is the 20 year day for the Roskilde Festival Tragedy where 9 people died from injuries sustained during a Pearl Jam concert,

I would say that it is the first major news story that I can remember hearing. 

The song was released about 2½ years later with the line "Lost nine friends we'll never know, two years ago today".

In the Music from :SVK random fun facts, today time to introduce Pavol Habera and his band Team, which is famous by re-singing the whole very successful album all over again but this time in Esperanto. And it worked to be even better than in the native slovak language :lol:

the biggest hit of the album "Reklama na ticho" Ad for silence.

in esperanto

original slovak version

• 2 weeks later...

@mrv86 is there a particular region or backstory to La Llorona? I know it’s a Mexican folk song, but that’s about as much as I know.  

It’s easily my favorite song en español.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@mrv86 is there a particular region or backstory to La Llorona? I know it’s a Mexican folk song, but that’s about as much as I know.  

It’s easily my favorite song en español.

Well, I'm not so sure, but given the rhythm and traditional instrumentation, it is most likely a folk song from the Tehuantepec Isthmus in Oaxaca and Veracruz.

The song borrows some from the Llorona legend, but its lyrics also aludes to a form of unrequited or platonic love for a woman that the singer identifies or sees as similar to the Llorona in the myth.

Another banger from Ana Tijoux. 

Her music art. Every beat and lyric in this song feels like a kick in the teeth for the church. The lyrics are so deep too, and she dropped the aggressive tone of her last songs. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela