website statistics

Baseball 2019 Discussion Thread

phelps

Just now, dcro said:

He probably meant the Kingdom of the Netherlands. :p

I was waiting for your post about it :p

Still a large majority of the Kingdom of the Netherlands' people doesn't give two shits about baseball :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I was waiting for your post about it :p

Still a large majority of the Kingdom of the Netherlands' people doesn't give two shits about baseball :d 

And herein lies the problem, I checked whether anyone other than Netherlands & Italy won the baseball EC. If you don't give a damn about this sport nobody in Europe ever will and it's a dead duck for the Olympic fanbase. I guess you can fill out the stands with school children, off-duty volunteers and members of the army to make it look like that someone has actually showed up! (I mean for Games outside of USA & Japan).

Just now, Monzanator said:

And herein lies the problem, I checked whether anyone other than Netherlands & Italy won the baseball EC. If you don't give a damn about this sport nobody in Europe ever will and it's a dead duck for the Olympic fanbase. I guess you can fill out the stands with school children, off-duty volunteers and members of the army to make it look like that someone has actually showed up! (I mean for Games outside of USA & Japan).

Or play in small stadiums. I mean, like with any sport there's always a (small) group of people who actually like it. But a stadium for 10.000+ people, nah, that'll just look pathetic :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Or play in small stadiums. I mean, like with any sport there's always a (small) group of people who actually like it. But a stadium for 10.000+ people, nah, that'll just look pathetic :p 

It would be the Olympics, that rules out "small stadiums" by default? Small would be U17 women's football tournament but not the Olympics.

Just now, Monzanator said:

It would be the Olympics

Ah yeah. That rules out the Netherlands anyway :d 

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

You can scrap the Netherlands from that, because it's not anywhere close to that.

in fact I gave another kind of interpretation for NED and ITA...

the question is about the games being well attended in case the Olympic Games were in certain Countries...

and I explained that in most cases that's a no brainer, as it happened even in the past in non-baseball related Countries like Greece or China and despite there were no superstars of the game either in those Games...

p.s. I'm pretty sure that should NED one day host the Olympics, Baseball (and Softball) would have very good attendance...just because it's the Olympics, no matter the local interest could be in the other 350 days of the year...;)

and the same is for many other Nations...

Just now, phelps said:

in fact I gave another kind of interpretation for NED and ITA...

the question is about the games being well attended in case the Olympic Games were in certain Countries...

and I explained that in most cases that's a no brainer, as it happened even in the past in non-baseball related Countries like Greece or China and despite there were no superstars of the game either in those Games...

p.s. I'm pretty sure that should NED one day host the Olympics, Baseball (and Softball) would have very good attendance...just because it's the Olympics, no matter the local interest could be in the other 350 days of the year...;)

and the same is for many other Nations...

Sure, if the tickets are not too expensive, probably some people will come and watch the grass grow with something happening in between every few minutes for a few seconds :p 

2019 Little League World Series

Day 1 and 2: August 15 & 16

U.S. Bracket:

:USA Rhode Island 0-3 Virginia :USA 

:USA Minnesota 2-1 Kentucky :USA 

:USA Hawaii 5-2 Louisiana :USA 

:USA Oregon 2-6 New Jersey :USA 

International Bracket:

:CUW Curacao 11-0 Australia :AUS 

:KOR South Korea 10-3 Venezuela :VEN 

:JPN Japan 20-0 Italy :ITA 

:MEX Mexico 5-0 Canada :CAN 

Tomorrow's Schedule (Loser's are Eliminated):

U.S. Bracket:

:USA Rhode Island vs. Kentucky :USA 

:USA Louisiana vs. Oregon :USA 

International Bracket:

:AUS Australia vs. Venezuela :VEN 

:ITA Italy vs. Canada :CAN 

Just now, Topicmaster1010 said:

2019 Little League World Series

Day 1 and 2: August 15 & 16

U.S. Bracket:

:USA Rhode Island 0-3 Virginia :USA 

:USA Minnesota 2-1 Kentucky :USA 

:USA Hawaii 5-2 Louisiana :USA 

:USA Oregon 2-6 New Jersey :USA 

International Bracket:

:CUW Curacao 11-0 Australia :AUS 

:KOR South Korea 10-3 Venezuela :VEN 

:JPN Japan 20-0 Italy :ITA 

:MEX Mexico 5-0 Canada :CAN 

Tomorrow's Schedule (Loser's are Eliminated):

U.S. Bracket:

:USA Rhode Island vs. Kentucky :USA 

:USA Louisiana vs. Oregon :USA 

International Bracket:

:AUS Australia vs. Venezuela :VEN 

:ITA Italy vs. Canada :CAN 

Ah, one of my favorite events of the year.

Honestly one of the best end of summer traditions in America. All the games live on TV, and the bring our all the production stops. Plus, something stupid almost always happens.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela