website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

6.99 m into a 1.4 m/s headwind for Mihambo, her consistency is absolutely insane. Would be a travesty if she wouldn't win gold in Doha. Also very nice new PB for Kaul in men's javelin throw. I thought that the U23 european championships were his season's highlight, but maybe he will be able to again score 8500+ points in Doha.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

6.99 m into a 1.4 m/s headwind for Mihambo, her consistency is absolutely insane. Would be a travesty if she wouldn't win gold in Doha. Also very nice new PB for Kaul in men's javelin throw. I thought that the U23 european championships were his season's highlight, but maybe he will be able to again score 8500+ points in Doha.

Somehow i think that Reese will win gold again. But Mihambo is really other class this year.

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

Somehow i think that Reese will win gold again. But Mihambo is really other class this year.

I hope not, Reese has won enough and some day age has to get to her + even Reese in top shape can't jump 7.16 m every day, a distance that Mihambo achieved this year even with far from perfect wind. She said that she still left some reserves in training for the world championships and she thinks that she can even get better until the world championships. I am a bit sad that she won't be in the german 4 x 100 m relay, she could have helped them to win a medal, but i think next year at the olympics she could compete in both events.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Yeah, Mihambo needs to handle the mental side of this one. If she blows it then it will be all between the ears.

Ewa Swoboda 11,07 PB!

In 2015 and 2016 she peaked at the world championships and the olympics and in 2017 she was injured. I am optimistic that she will be in top shape in Doha, but of course this will be the first time that she will be the favorite and everyone in Germany expects her to win gold, so we don't know how she will deal with a situation like that.

World best/record for Krause in women's 2000 m SC with 5:52. :clap::lol:

Of course barely any top runner ever runs this distance (in top shape), but the time is pretty impressive and she completely destroyed Yavi (who is a 9:07 runner in the 3000 m SC this year) over the last 200 m, so i am hopeful that she will be in sub 9:00 shape at the world championships.

You don't often see a world best/record at such a short distance being broken by 10 seconds. Before this race the top 2 on the all-time list were Virginia Nyambura (6:02 in 2015) and Beatrice Chepkoech (6:02 in 2015).

Edit: 41.67 seconds for the german 4 x 100 m relay. With Mihambo instead of Kwadwo and Mayer/Müller instead of Kwayie they would have broken the european record (41.37 by the GDR back from 1985) today. :cry:

Edited by OlympicsFan

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

In 2015 and 2016 she peaked at the world championships and the olympics and in 2017 she was injured. I am optimistic that she will be in top shape in Doha, but of course this will be the first time that she will be the favorite and everyone in Germany expects her to win gold, so we don't know how she will deal with a situation like that.

It's all about expectations. Being a medal contender is one thing, being a gold medal favorite is something else.

a small gossip from behind our boarders, because why not ? :d

Arguably the best ever javelin thrower in history and not only of Czechoslovakia and Czech Republic Ján Železný got married yesterdy with his 27 years younger girlfriend another czech javelin thrower Andrea Drápalová, Železný is ofc her long time coach and now also husband.

The wedding, how else, was held on the athletics stadium.

8185430-239519-profimedia-0419240115-204

5897929_.jpg