website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

23 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Now we have 6 shot putters who throwed 22+ in 2019 plus few of them who are near 22m. Probably best year for shot put in recent history.

Men's shot put and men's 400m hurdles have crazy depth all of a sudden :d (although for shot put it has been going on for a while but it just keeps going)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Men's shot put and men's 400m hurdles have crazy depth all of a sudden :d (although for shot put it has been going on for a while but it just keeps going)

And in a couple of years everything could just drop severely, like it happened with men's high jump.

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

And in a couple of years everything could just drop severely, like it happened with men's high jump.

It's what I'm fearing, exactly :p 

"Yeah but Samba and Warholm and Benjamin, no way that'll happen!"

Sure, Bondarenko and Barshim and several others were gonna regularly jump over 2.40m for years and break the WR too....until they didn't :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I do believe the rotational technique finally comes to the fore, it's been used exclusively by Americans for so long but perhaps it's the way to go after all. It's like a difference between taking three or four turns in the hammer. It wasn't such a thing until all the top athletes started to use four turns and now it's a default technique. On the other hand things have gone in the opposite direction in the long jump where the breast technique (viewed as the supreme) has been phased out over the years hence the results have gone right down.

In Poland Bukowiecki was viewed as the supreme talent from the juniors and future heir to Majewski's throne but Haratyk has exceeded all the expectations.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Definitely true for the shot put, but i don't think it is true for men's 400 m hurdles. Currently the 4th fastest guy is at 48.48, it takes 48.70 to make the top 10 and there are 20 guys sub 49 seconds. At the end of 2016 the 4th fastest guy was at 47.97 and it took 48.49 to make the top 10 + there were 28 guys sub 49 seconds. We have to wait until the end of the season, but right now i see no reason to think that this event got deeper in recent years. What actually changed is that the top 3 have gotten much faster and that they are actually able to run those times week after week and not just once a season. In the past the fight for the medals was much more open then it currently is. I think men's pole vault would be a better example of a discipline that got deeper. In 2016 the 4th best guy was at 5.91, it took 5.75 to make the top 10 and there were 34 guys over 5.70. This year the 4th best guy is at 5.95 already and it takes 5.81 to make the top 10 right now, in addition to that there are already 36 guys over 5.70.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Definitely true for the shot put, but i don't think it is true for men's 400 m hurdles. Currently the 4th fastest guy is at 48.48, it takes 48.70 to make the top 10 and there are 20 guys sub 49 seconds. At the end of 2016 the 4th fastest guy was at 47.97 and it took 48.49 to make the top 10 + there were 28 guys sub 49 seconds. We have to wait until the end of the season, but right now i see no reason to think that this event got deeper in recent years. What actually changed is that the top 3 have gotten much faster and that they are actually able to run those times week after week and not just once a season. In the past the fight for the medals was much more open then it currently is. I think men's pole vault would be a better example of a discipline that got deeper. In 2016 the 4th best guy was at 5.91, it took 5.75 to make the top 10 and there were 34 guys over 5.70. This year the 4th best guy is at 5.95 already and it takes 5.81 to make the top 10 right now, in addition to that there are already 36 guys over 5.70.

Sure, with depth I meant relatively speaking then. 2005 was the last year three guys ran under 47.50 and the fastest of those was still slower than what Samba, Warholm and Benjamin have done in the past 12 months or so. Crazy strong top-3 then.

17 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

So, were are having many people, in different disciplines, going in the top 10 all time lists. Even a WR last week. And the big event hasn't even come. Strongest athletics season in a while or?

I'm gonna try to not get too enthusiastic about the WR, I'm kinda expecting a disappointment :p

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Indeed. :) Even Romani is throwing 22.50. I follow shot put from early 1990ies, and even in best ages i havent seen so many good throws. 

When Toth throwed 22.40 in 2003 it was big shock.

Tell me more about hurdles. I dont follow it as shot put.

28 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Indeed. :) Even Romani is throwing 22.50. I follow shot put from early 1990ies, and even in best ages i havent seen so many good throws. 

When Toth throwed 22.40 in 2003 it was big shock.

Tell me more about hurdles. I dont follow it as shot put.

For years it was incredibly rare to see an athlete run under 47.50 seconds, now since last year we've got three guys who either broke or nearly broke 47 flat :p 

They combined for a total of 11 runs under 47.50 so far, seven of those coming from Abderrahman Samba of Qatar.

Edited by heywoodu