website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

Even though i respect Caster, decision is easy. Is it fair to discriminate every single girl with normal testosterone level, just because Caster feels she is women? Absurd. Her advantage is probably simmilar to supremacy of 1992 Dream Team over some high school team from Kiribati.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/48102479

finally, some good decisions for the sport...

but I fear that an appeal to ordinary civil court will change that once again...

I can smell "discrimination" all around if you look at the question from a not sport-only related point of view...:mumble:

p.s. and the IAAF rule that involves only 400m through 1500m/mile races just sucks...females with male characteristics have a big advantage over any kind of physical activity, therefore they should immediately extend their rules to entire athletics program (and the IOC should embrace that for any sport under any circumstance)...:evil::pope:

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, wumo26 said:

Sad day for human rights. I blame the European Athletics Federations because their upset that their athletes just don’t have equal talent. If she was a white runner from Europe or the North American this rule wouldn’t have been enforced again. This makes me so sad.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I don't know very much about the situation, that is I don't know if this "alteration" is natural or induced by what would be in practice doping. With this premise, I think that there is a simple way to solve this problem, and is a combination of the so called biological passport and "personalized medicine" (I spent hours yesterday on PubMed looking for some reviews, so please forgive me :D ). My point is that nowadays athlete are (or at least should be) tested for doping multiple times, for the sake not only of the fairness of sport but also and especially for their health. With this, it is going to be easy to understand if this alteration is normal or induced. In the first case, nothing should be done. In the second case, it is in practice use of doping. In the intermediate case of transgender athletes, (but this is really starting to be out of my field of knowledge), the use of hormones should be limited so that a maximum amount cannot be exceeded, otherwise it will be considered as doping. My opinion is that we have all the technical means to do it and this should be done.

For what I know, Semenya is not doped and she is as she appears since her birth, so it is a wrong decision.