website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Championship 2020

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Can't wait for the tournament to start so this political thing finally becomes irrelevant. EU has ignored War in Donbass for years so why bother pretending now? Obviously expecting boos when England takes a knee :lol:

What a horrible comment ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

These are questions Guardian asked their writers.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/11/euro-2020-writers-predict-winners-losers-breakout-stars

1. Which two teams will reach the final – and who will win?

2. Who will win the Golden Boot?

3. Who will be the surprise team of the tournament?

4. Who will be the breakthrough player of the tournament?

5. How far will England, Scotland and Wales get? (that is original Guardian question - but I would rather ask you: How far will your national team (or a team you support the most) get?

6. What are you most looking forward to, on or off the pitch?

7. What are you most concerned about, on or off the pitch?

What are your thoughts?

I very much like this one, Barney Ronay wrote that.

What are you most looking forward to, on or off the pitch?

BR Friendly interaction with diverse humans from other sectors of infection (previously known as “countries”). It’s been a while.

Out of curiousity, how is this tournament 'living' in your countries yet (mostly asking to people from qualified countries, of course? I feel like here on TV we have a few commercials here and there, and a program left or right, but....it doesn't feel very alive yet :p 

Same for me personally, I know it starts today, but it basically just feels like a bunch of Champions League matches in a short time or something instead of a real tournament, thanks to this 'great' idea of spreading it around all over the continent.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Out of curiousity, how is this tournament 'living' in your countries yet (mostly asking to people from qualified countries, of course? I feel like here on TV we have a few commercials here and there, and a program left or right, but....it doesn't feel very alive yet :p 

Same for me personally, I know it starts today, but it basically just feels like a bunch of Champions League matches in a short time or something instead of a real tournament, thanks to this 'great' idea of spreading it around all over the continent.

Well, TVP Sport has the rights here and just today there are 4 hours of studio before the kick-off game in two separate blocks. I suppose there will be more of that even with three daily games later on. It sure helps football is far & away the most popular sport in Poland so we'll get a ton of coverage outside the games. The quality of this is a different matter as I'm long tired of old-timer experts on TVP Sport like former NT coaches Gmoch and Engel who should basically fuck off by now :p

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It sure helps football is far & away the most popular sport in Poland so we'll get a ton of coverage outside the games.

That's basically the same here as well though, in terms of sports-related talk shows on TV football beats everything else by a billion miles :p 

It just feels like there was a ton more general excitement in years past. Maybe it's just personal, it could be that in 2010 and 2014 (when I had no job or school or any obligations) I had more time to see everything that was going on, while before that I was at school and so at school it was the talk of the day. Then we missed 2016 and 2018 (meaning not much excitement) and now I have a job.

Or maybe it's just that people will get more excited once it started :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

well, not as much as before and during the hockey worlds two weeks ago, when nothing else was said on televisions and radios. the cars drove with Slovak flags in the streets and at the time of the matches there was practically nobody working. But there is definitely enough interest for this Euro, not many commercials or trailers so far in TV or radios, but people definitely know about it and are interested.

The tournament is very much alive here. I mean, duh, we are hosting and this is only the second big international tournament in the past 3 decades where we qualified. EURO2016 was by far the biggest celebration of any sport I have seen in Hungary, Budapest went wild after our matches, it felt like "everyone" was watching it. It will probably be the same this year, but it won't help that we will likely be a punching bag in that group, especially without Szoboszlai and Kalmár. 

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Have to admit that it feels a bit slow for me as well. With the pandemic the hype of the home games died a bit for me as it has really been treated too much like Copenhagen's event and not an event for all the country as it was originally though (sure the games are in Copenhagen but suddenly the government started making special rules for 2 specific big screen events in Copenhagen while the rest of the country just had to make the best out of it with stricter rules).

Meanwhile it doesn't even sound like the hype has hit Copenhagen even with the first home field match tomorrow.

I even managed to get booked for the same time as :DEN - :BEL meaning that I'll miss half that game.

I'm sure things will start waking up today with the start of the championships and with a Danish team with the best chances of a top result since 1998 (I would guess) it is getting very interesting when we actually get started.