website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Championship 2020

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

9,5 hours left until the draw. I'd say nobody wants to play in the Italian group and make the useless trip to Baku & back. It's safe to say this will be a one-off concept, it's a horrible idea and those big nations are extremely favored playing all the games at home. Platini's ghost can't be banished quickly enough.

Though I'm not a big fan of the concept as well (even though it's pretty much the only way we get to host the EURO), I wouldn't agree with you all the way.

Yes, some big nations are favored, but first of all it's only in the group stage, where more than half the participating nations advance. Second, there are several big countries who aren't.  Only one group has both teams qualified (and that's the one with no real powerhouse). And to be fair, the hosts in the other groups would be hard to see eliminated in the group stage.

There are plenty of problems with the concept (just look at the draws where 2 groups have 3 places pretty much set in stone), and yes, it should be a one-off concept (and yes, it will at least be a long time before we'll see it again), but I do believe it will be entertaining.

8 minutes ago, Agger said:

Though I'm not a big fan of the concept as well (even though it's pretty much the only way we get to host the EURO), I wouldn't agree with you all the way.

Yes, some big nations are favored, but first of all it's only in the group stage, where more than half the participating nations advance. Second, there are several big countries who aren't.  Only one group has both teams qualified (and that's the one with no real powerhouse). And to be fair, the hosts in the other groups would be hard to see eliminated in the group stage.

There are plenty of problems with the concept (just look at the draws where 2 groups have 3 places pretty much set in stone), and yes, it should be a one-off concept (and yes, it will at least be a long time before we'll see it again), but I do believe it will be entertaining.

Both group hosts are favored to advance. It's a huge mismatch. Hell, Italy, Germany, England, Netherlands, Spain and Denmark of all teams wil play all three group games at home. The rich only get richer. Makes me wanna cheer for Belgium straight away.

The only big football countries that aren't hosts is due to close geographical proximity of another big powerhouse. There's no point of a group with Spain/Portugal, Germany/France or Netherlands/Belgium because that would be a huge fraud. You get all these qualies, playoffs and whatever to be drawn alongside two major powerhouses? No way. That's why Spain/Ireland, Netherlands/Romania or Germany/Hungary groups are there because you can at least sell the false hope of beating the lesser host.

This idea is just horrible every way you look at it. Platini should be fucking ashamed of this nonsense but he's lost all credibility already.

Group F :d :bowdown:

So the 4th one there will be one of those mini nations?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!