website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Championship 2020

Totallympics

9 hours ago, thepharoah said:

is Hungary a muslim country too and UEFA fear from Islamophobia there ? or it's just putting Islam in a sentence btw Azerbaijan is very far from being an Islamic country , they're secularism dictatorship country that most people are Muslims there and IMO u should respect any country's policies , if this country bans such flags then i could raise awareness about LGBT people rights in other countries that it that's what i believe , i can't go to Germany and raise Nazi Flags if i believe in Nazism , not all countries are democratic in this world this's the truth unfortunately 

UEFA investigates three Hungarian matches but only the Hungarian side. They do not care if French fans throw pet-bottles to the field or a German fan run into the field with rainbow flag during the Hungarian Anthem. But there is a problem if the Hungarian funs show up an "Anti-LGBT" banner. And this is my problem with this issue. According the UEFA you can choose the rainbow or you can shut your mouth up.

Hungary is labeled as an anti-LGBT country. But some youth here wears rainbow bags, or rainbow umbrellas, Ikea is full of rainbow child's game. Perfectly normal here. But what does an LGBT person want in a kindergarten or a primary school?

6 hours ago, thepharoah said:

is Hungary a muslim country too and UEFA fear from Islamophobia there ? or it's just putting Islam in a sentence btw Azerbaijan is very far from being an Islamic country , they're secularism dictatorship country that most people are Muslims there and IMO u should respect any country's policies , if this country bans such flags then i could raise awareness about LGBT people rights in other countries that it that's what i believe , i can't go to Germany and raise Nazi Flags if i believe in Nazism , not all countries are democratic in this world this's the truth unfortunately 

Comparing the rainbow flag with the Nazi flag? Really? This is not the flag of a regime that killed millions (somehow that's even legal many ways with the Soviet Union or other hammer and sickle flags). It's a struggle for equal rights!

4 hours ago, Agger said:

Comparing the rainbow flag with the Nazi flag? Really? This is not the flag of a regime that killed millions (somehow that's even legal many ways with the Soviet Union or other hammer and sickle flags). It's a struggle for equal rights!

I didn't mean this ofc maybe I used a wrong comparison but what I meant that it's better to respect other organizations or countries' policies and know it before u go there and put yourself in a problem I'm sorry if my comment hurted anyone but I didn't mean to ofc 

3 hours ago, crovitlaci said:

All four teams in the semifinals played all their group games at home.
England - 3 x London

Denmark - 3 x Copenhagen

Italy- 3 x Rome

Spain- 3 x Seville

Yes, this is also show how stupid this idea was. Hosting the games gave all those teams a huge advantage. Thankfully Michel Platini who created this stupid format has been removed so he won't come up with any further nonsense.

16 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

I didn't mean this ofc maybe I used a wrong comparison but what I meant that it's better to respect other organizations or countries' policies and know it before u go there and put yourself in a problem I'm sorry if my comment hurted anyone but I didn't mean to ofc 

But UEFA had said that nothing would happen to people with rainbow flags!

28 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yes, this is also show how stupid this idea was. Hosting the games gave all those teams a huge advantage. Thankfully Michel Platini who created this stupid format has been removed so he won't come up with any further nonsense.

You could argue that shared advantage is better than giving advantage to one team.

Alternatively, you could have a host whose team is not qualified, then it'd be fair as nobody had an advantage. :p 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Though it does go both ways. Teams qualified directly got home advantage in all 3. Should mean that the stronger teams got it (except for somebody like France who didn't bid)

What both ways? Teams that had to travel around Europe didn't get into the last four. What advantage they had? :dunno:

Since the introduction of group stage at the Euros only one host nation won the title (1984) so I don't believe in the "one team advantage" narrative either.

Of course I don't even touch the political/social mud-slinging I just express my sincere hope that threads related to the Olympics will not be ruined this way 

Regarding the format: even Platini (whom I am in no way defending!!) conceived this as an one off. So I don't think anyone has to be concerned about that.

The main problem with the format was two fold: first, some geographically outlying venues (mostly Azerbaijan) were selected which complicated things (I know, $/€)

Second, more important problem: the group stage+ round of 16 pairs should have been established that teams go to the geographically closest venue (additional issue was that UEFA wanted every team which qualified directly to play all their group stage matches at home)

BTW, Considering COVID-19, the tournament went on surprisingly smoothly.