website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Championship 2020

Totallympics

Please stop this madness!

I was thinking long and hard about writing this post for a number of days but decided to do it anyway, with view to the Tokyo Olympics and the discussion threads which hopefully will be very active.

Simply put, there should be a part of this forum where discussion is restricted to sport related discussion even though politics and/or social activism and sport cannot always be strictly separated. There should be a separate thread (e.g. "Social activism at the 2020 Olympics" or "Social activism at the UEFA Euro 2020" or similar) where these discussions can take place, or (the admittedly toxic) Politics Thread should also be used for that purpose.

More often than not, above mentioned political/social discussions have been nothing more than sterile, uproductive mud-slinging, or periodic exposition of each other's views talking past each other. The only result is the ruination of the threads where they occur, potentially causing users who dont want to participate in or even reading such discussions, to avoid the (sport / event related) threads concerned.

On a personal note moreover, there are a number of us whose (mostly psychological but sometimes also physical) wellbeing is directly impacted by the political situation in our respective countries, and some of us may not want to read about all this sh*t even on a sport related thread in a sport forum.

In this forum in particular, most of similar discussions usually (but not always) involve one particular nick (everyone knows who), versus other people trying to convince him/her, or arguing with him/her. These efforts are more often than not, unproductive, and lead to the aforementioned result.

Before anyone starts yelling "censorship" or "cancel culture", I dont want to censor anyone, just propose to have its own topic(s) for this kind of discussion.

And during the Olympics, to have the sport/discipline related threads for ontopic posts and not for lengthy discussion about whether is good or not good to speak/otherwise act by athlete X about cause Y, or whether cause Y has or hasn't any merit. 

1 hour ago, dharang said:

Please stop this madness!

I was thinking long and hard about writing this post for a number of days but decided to do it anyway, with view to the Tokyo Olympics and the discussion threads which hopefully will be very active.

Simply put, there should be a part of this forum where discussion is restricted to sport related discussion even though politics and/or social activism and sport cannot always be strictly separated. There should be a separate thread (e.g. "Social activism at the 2020 Olympics" or "Social activism at the UEFA Euro 2020" or similar) where these discussions can take place, or (the admittedly toxic) Politics Thread should also be used for that purpose.

More often than not, above mentioned political/social discussions have been nothing more than sterile, uproductive mud-slinging, or periodic exposition of each other's views talking past each other. The only result is the ruination of the threads where they occur, potentially causing users who dont want to participate in or even reading such discussions, to avoid the (sport / event related) threads concerned.

On a personal note moreover, there are a number of us whose (mostly psychological but sometimes also physical) wellbeing is directly impacted by the political situation in our respective countries, and some of us may not want to read about all this sh*t even on a sport related thread in a sport forum.

In this forum in particular, most of similar discussions usually (but not always) involve one particular nick (everyone knows who), versus other people trying to convince him/her, or arguing with him/her. These efforts are more often than not, unproductive, and lead to the aforementioned result.

Before anyone starts yelling "censorship" or "cancel culture", I dont want to censor anyone, just propose to have its own topic(s) for this kind of discussion.

And during the Olympics, to have the sport/discipline related threads for ontopic posts and not for lengthy discussion about whether is good or not good to speak/otherwise act by athlete X about cause Y, or whether cause Y has or hasn't any merit. 

I have only started these discussions here and not in the Politics thread because this is a matter on how the event itself is organized. It is also a news that has been reported by all the leading news organizations and it's also dominating the discourse on EURO2020 (or at least that's what I am seeing on Reddit and Twitter). And it's unprecedented in many ways at a major international sport event and raises questions about activism at such events. 

Edit: But yeah, this went on for too long, I have already switched to the Politics thread when I felt like it became too much of an "offtopic". I will bring the discussions about similar matters to that thread next time.