---------------

:MKD 0

Group D Final Standing

:ENG 7   Q

:CRO 4  (4:3)   Q

:CZE 4  (3:2)   Q

---------------

:SCO 1

So England is guaranteed to play runner-up of Group F ( :GER looming).

Croatia will play runner-up of Group E (possibly :POL:p ).

If :UKR and :FIN are the two third place teams out then it's probably :ESP vs :CZE (if Poland beats Sweden and Spain beats Slovakia).

If Portugal doesn't beat France it will be :NED vs :POR most likely.

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

UEFA and German liberals can't vote Orban out of office after all so UEFA gains nothing from pouring fuel to the fire. One has to acknowledge liberal democracy doesn't get a 100% score in Europe no matter what people think :p

I think this decision doesn’t have that much to do with Hungary. Hungary on a global scale is pretty much irrelevant, but I think muslim countries are pretty important for UEFA and they also wouldn’t have liked to see the stadium in rainbow colors. Also interesting that Hungary asks for politics to be left out, but at the same time we see tons of Hungarian „fans“ with black shirts during all their matches, probably not related to politics at all ...

Western politicians can’t complain about UEFA, when they keep financing the Hungarian and polish government. Personally I wish that Poland and Hungary would be kicked out of the EU, but sadly that won’t happen.

Also now that I learned more about this topic: I think the major of Munich himself said that this was supposed to be a protest against the new Hungarian law, so he can’t complain that this won’t be allowed. If they would have done the same for all matches (and not just the match against Hungary), there probably wouldn’t have been a problem.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I really wonder who came up with this system/seeding. 6 groups and then we have the last 2 world champions and the current European champion (3 of the 4 teams that made the semifinal in 2016) in the same group (while there is a group with Ukraine, Austria and North Macedonia ...). Also the Runner up of by far the strongest group has to play against a group winner, while the runner up of a much weaker group has to play against the runner up of another much weaker group.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

31 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I really wonder who came up with this system/seeding. 6 groups and then we have the last 2 world champions and the current European champion (3 of the 4 teams that made the semifinal in 2016) in the same group (while there is a group with Ukraine, Austria and North Macedonia ...). Also the Runner up of by far the strongest group has to play against a group winner, while the runner up of a much weaker group has to play against the runner up of another much weaker group.

Without going into the details, Group F is basically a consequence of Portugal failing to top their qualification group (finished below Ukraine) and France not winning enough points in theirs despite topping their group. The seeding was based in qualifiers performance alone, not fifa or uefa rankings as usual.

As for the R16 bracket... it was just bad luck that Group F is also the worst group to be placed into in that respect.