website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Championship 2020

Totallympics

https://www.dw.com/en/euro-2020-uefa-takes-no-action-against-manuel-neuer-and-dfb-over-pride-armband/a-57971971

Well, there you go, if it's a good cause according to the UEFA, it doesn't matter that players bring political symbols to a match.

And what's a good cause? Apparently something that the West cares about because that's where the money is. Ukraine isn't an important market, so their issues weren't a "good cause", their political slogans were too much for UEFA and got removed.

To be clear, I wasn't in favor of what Ukraine intended to do with their jersey. But I am also not in favor of what the Germans are doing. I am also not in favor of Hungarians bringing pre-Trianon Greater Hungary symbols to any match, especially to those where we play against our neighbors. But if you open the door to one of these, you either open the door to all of them, or you will cause a revolt when you pick your favorite political causes for a sport that's literally played by everyone around the world. 

"We are striving for open football."

Bullshit. Football isn't an American sport. It's international and it's for everyone. The way to keep football open is to keep activism outside of the matches. What they are doing with this is the exact opposite. What UEFA is striving for is to not fall out of the graces of their most important money makers when they are fighting a war with FIFA. 

25 minutes ago, Vektor said:

https://www.dw.com/en/euro-2020-uefa-takes-no-action-against-manuel-neuer-and-dfb-over-pride-armband/a-57971971

Well, there you go, if it's a good cause according to the UEFA, it doesn't matter that players bring political symbols to a match.

And what's a good cause? Apparently something that the West cares about because that's where the money is. Ukraine isn't an important market, so their issues weren't a "good cause", their political slogans were too much for UEFA and got removed.

To be clear, I wasn't in favor of what Ukraine intended to do with their jersey. But I am also not in favor of what the Germans are doing. I am also not in favor of Hungarians bringing pre-Trianon Greater Hungary symbols to any match, especially to those where we play against our neighbors. But if you open the door to one of these, you either open the door to all of them, or you will cause a revolt when you pick your favorite political causes for a sport that's literally played by everyone around the world. 

"We are striving for open football."

Bullshit. Football isn't an American sport. It's international and it's for everyone. The way to keep football open is to keep activism outside of the matches. What they are doing with this is the exact opposite. What UEFA is striving for is to not fall out of the graces of their most important money makers when they are fighting a war with FIFA. 

Again: How is advocating equal rights political? Also if the west would dictate the terms, then UEFA probably would have told Russia to fuck off.

UEFA really has to stop with the hate towards Hungary ... first they gave them two group matches and now they even consider handing them the final, this discrimination of Hungary has to stop ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Yeah, falling for Russian demands when it comes to Ukrainian jerseys shows how hypocritical UEFA - and politics in general - really is. I'm pretty sure no anti-discrimination organization from UK will say a single word about War in Donbas or annexation of Crimea. Can't stand these double standards.

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Again: How is it political? How is advocating equal rights political? 

...I don't even know how to respond to this. How the fuck is it not political to fight for equal rights? It seriously blows my mind that you even ask this. Is this an attempt at trolling? 

14 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Because equal rights is a political myth, that's why. It didn't work with communism and it doesn't work with liberal democracy either.

I applaud your creativity (for connecting communism and equal rights for people of all sexual orientations). Don’t think I heard this one before ... now I get why people in former communist countries have such a big problem with this.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minutes ago, Vektor said:

...I don't even know how to respond to this. How the fuck is it not political to fight for equal rights? It seriously blows my mind that you even ask this. Is this an attempt at trolling? 

No, but after reading your other comments, It doesn’t surprise me that you fail to understand even such a simple thing. This is not about country A vs. country B, this is about people who want to end the discrimination of certain people. Ukraine vs. Russia or Azerbaijan vs. Armenia is a completely different topic (geographical conflicts = political). It makes me sad to see how limited your understanding of the world is. Political = conflicts between countries or fight against a political institutation. This is about how people treat other people.

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I applaud your creativity (for connecting communism and equal rights for people of all sexual orientations). Don’t think I heard this one before ... now I get why people in former communist countries have such a big problem with this.

Germany is the place where communism was born after all so it's your country's fault anyway :p And yes, in communism every person was supposed to be equal. Boy, did that prove to be wrong or what! :lol:

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

No, but after reading your other comments, It doesn’t surprise me that you fail to understand even such a simple thing. This is not about country A vs. country B, this is about people who want to end the discrimination of certain people. Ukraine vs. Russia or Azerbaijan vs. Armenia is a completely different topic (geographical conflicts = political). It makes me sad to see how limited your understanding of the world is.

Jesus, you don't even understand what the word "political" means. I will help you: no, it doesn't only cover geopolitical conflicts. Disagreements between countries can't just be only about territories. It can be about ideologies. And the last I checked the world wasn't exactly a place where every countries agrees on certain social issues.

Now, let's say that we allow the pride flag in. Do we also allow for those countries who view same-sex activity as a criminal act to burn the pride flag at the start of the match? Both are, you know, political ideologies that either view queer people as equal or as people who shouldn't even exist. Both types of countries are part of the international sports community, and also many others who are in between the two in terms on where they stand on this issue. But here's a bright idea: maybe international sport events aren't the best place to decide what ideologies are the superior.