website statistics

Figure Skating 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Longer careers? Don't see that happening in women's event. Japan might push Russia in numbers but that is it. USA & Canada have tailed off and so has Europe in general. Modern teenagers have easier ways to earn money than to grind on the ice rink until late 20s. All it takes is another mental health alert and nobody will say anything when they retire at age 21. The war in Ukraine won't last forever and I suspect a new Eteri-like coach will emerge to send more Russians into competition. Every nation has a sport they want to dominate. USA has basketball, Norway cross country skiing and Russia ice hockey & figure skating among winter sports.

• 3 months later...

Quadruple Axel by Malinin

I still don’t understand why he wasn’t selected for the Olympic team last year. I get he was new on scene then, but even then you could tell he was a special talent. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I still don’t understand why he wasn’t selected for the Olympic team last year. I get he was new on scene then, but even then you could tell he was a special talent. 

To give the decision some credence, Malinin did took part at the World Championships and delivered a sub-par performance. In his own words, he felt it was result of pressure to perform.

#banbestmen

19 minutes ago, dcro said:

To give the decision some credence, Malinin did took part at the World Championships and delivered a sub-par performance. In his own words, he felt it was result of pressure to perform.

I do think the decision will likely give him time to mature a bit more, and that may be the better option in the long run.

Personally, I would have chose him over Brown, even though I like watching Brown skate.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

In terms of fairness he should be selected. No one knows what happens to a young talent after 4 years. He may get injured or retired though I definitely hope not.

• 5 weeks later...