website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, this reminds me of these African teams when before every World Cup seemingly at least one African team always argues about money :p The only difference with Canada is the argument takes place five months before the World Cup and not five weeks.

I can guess this African team's name : Nigeria 

A bit sad for :UKR that would be some story considering the circumstances but yeah, congrats to :WAL , really happy for you guys, must be some complete mayhem around Cardiff right now after this returning to the world cup for the first time since the invention of the wheel :yes

It's no big secret that the Canada Soccer Association is poorly ran despite the ongoing success of the women's team for a decade and the more recent success of the men's team.

Considering their low offer to the men's side, I can only imagine how low the women have been getting (at best it's the same offer as the men got, more likely they have been getting less). I really do think the federation is stuck in a time when Canada last qualified (1986) where players were amateurs/semi-professional and would have  been happy with ~10% of the pot.

13 hours ago, intoronto said:

" lying traitors" - it was mostly the Iranian diaspora who didn't want a team representing a terrorist regime playing in Canada in what was deemed a friendly match (all over Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 being shot down). As the game came closer political people including Justin Trudeau (whose government approved the visas, btw, said it wasn't a good idea). Really stupid imo. This is a sport and the game should have on, but political pressure strikes again.

I know the whole story, and as you know there are millions of Iranians in Canada, and almost all of them dislike the current regime (same as me) but that has nothing to do with a football match which was supposed to bring people together. national teams represent people, not the governments. I know the huge majority of them was happy and excited about the game and the match was sold out quickly. but they are ordinary people with jobs etc, they don't spend 16 hours per day in social media. that loud minority make lots of noises as usual. most of them are paid mercenaries. they have no other job, they are being paid by certain countries/groups to spread hatred and of course they made up lots of fake stories in the process. they did the same with a wrestling dual in USA couple months ago. they count on naivety of western media who are usually easy to be manipulated

Canada soccer at least could cancel the match earlier. giving Iran more time to plan friendlies. Iran was supposed to play 3 matches in North America. now they are in Qatar desperately trying to find a team, any team ! :facepalm: (looks like we will play Algeria after all)

17 hours ago, intoronto said:

Canada v Panama cancelled... lol

Qualify for the WC for the first time in 36 years and this shit happens. What a joke

Ugh. You work for your club to get paid, you play for your national team because you want to represent your country...

If you do it for the money, fine, they can find someone who is actually willing to play for their country :bye: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

FIFA Disciplinary Committee passes decision on eligibility of Byron David Castillo Segura :ECU

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has rendered its decision in relation to the potential ineligibility of the player Byron David Castillo Segura with regard to his participation in eight qualifying matches of the national team of the Ecuadorian Football Association (FEF) in the preliminary competition of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.

After analysing the submissions of all parties concerned and considering all elements brought before it, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has decided to close the proceedings initiated against the FEF.

The Disciplinary Committee’s findings were notified today to the parties concerned.

In accordance with the relevant provisions of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the parties have ten days in which to request a motivated decision, which, if requested, would subsequently be published on legal.fifa.com.

The present decision remains subject to an appeal before the FIFA Appeal Committee.

Ecuador remain at Qatar 2022; but Chile will appeal FIFA's decision not to sanction FEF for the Byron Castillo case and will go to TAS

the story began 7 years ago  .............. to be continued