website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Βooks Thread

George_D

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

Any suggestions for the audiobook?

I don't feel like listening to something I've already seen in a movie, or something that I already read, or really the Plague by Camus since it apparently lasts more than 10 hours. :lol:

I don’t know what you’re into, but based what I’ve studied, I’d suggest Fahrenheit 451 or Things Fall Apart (that’s a great one if you really want to learn about West African (more specifically Nigerian) culture). Really any of those books I listed off in my post a few days ago are worth a read. I would suggest searching “recommended titles for the US AP Literature Test.” You’d come across all types of titles there.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I'd just type in Stephen King, hit a 'randomize' button and go :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 6 months later...

Just got my copy of a new encyclopedia they published on our Olympic history. :clap: All 289 medalists featured with their stories, career, memories, results, controversies and a fantastic picture album. I barely started looking at it and can say they have done a great job with it. 

balgariya-na-olimp-31.jpg

Spoiler

balgariya-na-olimp-34.jpg

balgariya-na-olimp-37.jpg

balgariya-na-olimp-39.jpg

_OCH8859.jpg

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Just got my copy of a new encyclopedia they published on our Olympic history. :clap: All 289 medalists featured with their stories, career, memories, results, controversies and a fantastic picture album. I barely started looking at it and can say they have done a great job with it. 

balgariya-na-olimp-31.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

I'm quite intrigued what they will write about that team dressage silver from 1980. :p

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, dcro said:

I'm quite intrigued what they will write about that team dressage silver from 1980. :p

Not much actually. :d I'm surprised that even in such a low level sport for our country (no offence :p), we had a whole internal system of centers to train and breed horses back in the old regime. Granted half of the world didn't participate and winning a medal wouldn't have happened otherwise, but it's nice to read that still a lot of work and preparation went into it. One of our medalist Georgi Gadzhev mentioned that there was General (because horses etc. went to the army division) who oversaw and developed the whole program for over 10 years and on the medal ceremony , when we were receiving our medals, it was the first and only time they saw him crying.  Now of course everything is on a good will level and i don't know if we have any jockey who competes at an international level. 

• 1 month later...

Hey, olympic freaks.

For many years I have been collecting my own small olympic library. I wish I could show it to you but I don't know how to post a photo here. 

Nevermind. 

I would like to ask you what olympic and sports books you recommend. Maybe I could add them to my collections. 

My favourite English language olympic book is - by far - Rome 1960 by David Maraniss. 

My favourite Polish one would be Swoje wiem i piszę by the great Zdzisław Ambroziak, but I don't know if it was translated in other languages.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Stay healthy!!! 

• 1 year later...

@rafalgorka The Beijing 2022 Book is officially on sale (14.33 EUR here https://www.martinus.sk/?uItem=1467563) 152 pages, Day by day recap, articles about the stars and disappoointements of the games, All slovak athltetes journeys and obviously the complete results of the games in the last part

Kniha%20Peking%20ob%C3%A1lka%20predn%C3%

Kniha%20Peking%20ob%C3%A1lka%20predn%C3%

l6218431467563.jpg

l6218411467563.jpg

On 4/23/2020 at 7:07 PM, dcro said:

Lovely first day in the Decameron.

I am eager to see if I will indeed be able to hear all 100 stories in 10 consecutive days. :p

So, did you? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!