website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Βooks Thread

George_D

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I am now happy I didn't go to school there, that sounds even worse than maths and more senseless than the 'art classes' we had :yikes: 

I think I should be thankful that I "only" have to read the compulsory book and write a summary with some personal opinions every 2-3 chapters :d 

3 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

I think I should be thankful that I "only" have to read the compulsory book and write a summary with some personal opinions every 2-3 chapters :d 

I can't even remember having to write opinions other than "I liked it because I thought it was nice" :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 16/04/2020 at 22:48, Bohemia said:

That's exactly what I think too, since I never liked the books we had to read for school :lol:

One of my least favorite was probably "The Plague" by Albert Camus, which is not the kind of thing you want to read right now.

actually, The Plague is one of the absolute bestsellers in these weeks in Italy...:yikes: :facepalm:

I guess most of those who read it are a bunch of masochists...but I didn't know that there are so many of them in my Country...:nopompom:

personally, now I'm reading a book about the life and death of the Inca Empire...quite interesting subject...

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I am now happy I didn't go to school there, that sounds even worse than maths and more senseless than the 'art classes' we had :yikes: 

until you have to study old Latin and read & translate those classical ancient Latin writers like Cicero or (the most feared and hated) Seneca, it's just like being in holiday...:lol:

p.s. we laso have mandatory art classes in almost every kind of high school...and they were my most hated hours of the week (the last year in HS, I even used to skip school quite often in the days where I was supposed to attend those classes)...;)

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Yeah, I started "reading" that one through Audible Audiobook (judge me, but it was a free trial).

But I gave up after Chapter 3. :lol: Mostly because the dude that read it poorly immitated female voices when reading the lines of female characters. So cringeworthy. :rofl:

you've been unlucky...

at least the main Italian audiobooks are read by true actors, sometimes even those you normally hear as the dubbers in the main movies/tv series...

so, you might even not like the book itself, but sometimes you're still attracted by the voice of the people reading...

2 hours ago, phelps said:

until you have to study old Latin and read & translate those classical ancient Latin writers like Cicero or (the most feared and hated) Seneca, it's just like being in holiday...:lol:

Did they also write 'Marcus et Cornelia in horto ambulant'? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, phelps said:

you've been unlucky...

at least the main Italian audiobooks are read by true actors, sometimes even those you normally hear as the dubbers in the main movies/tv series...

so, you might even not like the book itself, but sometimes you're still attracted by the voice of the people reading...

Yeah, I managed to return it and get my free credit back. But now I don't really know what to get instead.

Maybe I should indeed pick that popular Camus piece. :whistle:

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, Vojthas said:

What kind of story would you rather read - a fake story about real people or a story from the imagined vision of the future world?

Story from imagined vision of the further world.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Any suggestions for the audiobook?

I don't feel like listening to something I've already seen in a movie, or something that I already read, or really the Plague by Camus since it apparently lasts more than 10 hours. :lol:

#banbestmen