website statistics

Men's Baseball WBSC Under 23 World Cup 2018

Totallympics

Totallympics TV

Watch the world’s best University aged players play for the cup here

Also, for Spanish speakers here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

and also this tournament is almost done...

so far, :JPN Japan (5W-0L), :MEX Mexico (4W-1L) and :TPE Chibese Taipei (2W-3L, taking advantage of the tie-breaker over :COL and :NED ending with the same record) advanced to the Main Round from Group A, meanwhile :VEN Venezuela (5W-0L), :KOR South Korea and :DOM Dominican Republic (both with a 3W-2L record) advanced to the Main Round from Group B...

in the Main Round, the Japanese domination continued without a stop, so they are sure to play tomorrow's Gold Medal Match...

:MEX Mexico (3W-1L) will be Japan's opponents, since :VEN Venezuela (2W-2L) still have a chance to catch them in the standings, but they have lost the direct match-up, therefore they have to be satisfied with a place in the Bronze medal match...

the last team to make the finals is still undetermined, as the other 3 Nations in the Main Round all have a 1-3 record and today's games will decide who's going to play tomorrow against :VEN Venezuela...

and last night scores give :KOR South Korea (thanks to the 3-2 win over a not so motivated :MEX Mexico) a chance to earn the Bronze Medal later today in the "small final" against :VEN Venezuela (they won 4-3 vs :TPE Chinese Taipei, but they were already destined to the Bronze Medal match before the game)...

the Bronze Medal match is scheduled for Today @ 1 p.m. local time (7 p.m. CET)...

and it's live on Youtube...

meanwhile, as we already knew before yesterday's games, the Gold Medal match is between :JPN Japan and :MEX Mexico...

the first pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m. local time (1 a.m. CET)...

and all the action is also live on Youtube...

Venezuela earns historical bronze medal in the U-23 Baseball World Cup

Venezuela earned a historical bronze medal in the U-23 Baseball World Cup with a 5-4 win against Korea.

Korea came a long way to tie the game in the top of the seventh, but in the bottom of the eighth Venezuela scored the go ahead run thanks to some good, old fashioned hustle along the base path.

Anthony Concepcion ran all the way from first to third on a single by Leandro Cedeño and Jorma Rodriguez beat a throw to first that would have ended the inning on a double play, allowing Concepcion to score the winning run.

Venezuela’s starter Nivaldo Rodriguez (a prospect at class for the Houston Astros) threw five, very strong innings. He allowed only one hit and left with a solid 3-1 lead.

“I had a plan and it worked beautifully” said Nivaldo Rodriguez at the end of the game “I knew them, because I had pitched against Korea in Monteria.”

Rodriguez added: “We shared the same record with Mexico, but this wasn’t enough to make the final. We went after it like warriors, day after day.

This medal is our reward. I want to tell to our fans: keep fighting with us, despite all the problems of our Country”

Venezuela had scored all of the runs against Yoon Joong Hyun, picked as a starter despite not getting an out in the rest of the tournament.

With four at bats left, Korea was not ready to give up and managed to tie it in the top of the seventh.

Venezuela had built a 4-1 lead and used four pitchers to defend it.  

Maiker Pinto, who had relieved Nivaldo Rodriguez in the sixth, gave up a single to Ko Seong Min and then left.

Miguel Burgos got started with back to back strike outs, but then was hit hard along the right field line by Kim Chan Hyung, whose speed turned the hit into a triple and cut Venezuela’s lead to 4-2.

Luis Garcia allowed a base hit to Han Dong Hui for the third run and a double off the wall in right field to Choe Tae Seong that tied the game.

Christian Mejias picked off Choe Tae Seong to end the inning.

Venezuela wasted a chance to win back the lead in the bottom of the seventh against Kim Ho Jun.

With one out, Jesus Lujiano doubled.

He then became the second out trying to steal third.

Yonni Hermandez followed with a double that would have easily scored him from second.

In the bottom of the eighth, with Anthony Concepcion (walk) at first, Korea gave the call to Lee Won Joon.

Leandro Cedeño came up with his second hit of the game, bringing Concepcion to third.

Then he left for pinch hitter Joscar Alvarez. Jorma Rodriguez grounded to shortstop.

Korea got the force out at second, but Jorma Rodriguez beat the throw to first, allowing Concepcion to score the winning run from third.

“I wanted that at bat” said Leandro Cedeño through an interpreter “I wanted that chance, because I know I’m good in those situations. I felt really calm. I prepared mentally in the dugout. They changed the pitcher, and I felt even calmer, because I was intimidating them. And thank God I could hit, and run with all I had to reach safe and put the runner in scoring position.”

Also Cedeño has a message for his fans: “To all the fans, to all the people who followed us through social media and television, thank you for all the positive feedback. Thank you, you kept supporting and trusting us.”

In the top of the ninth Ivan Andueza, who had taken over for Mejias with one out in the bottom of the eighth, gave up a lead off single to Yen Jinwon.

Korea than failed to advance the runner in scoring position as Choi Ji Hoon bunted into a force out at second.
Andueza faced only two more hitters and picked the win.

Bronze Medal Match

:VEN Venezuela b. :KOR South Korea  5-4

Boxscore

https://u23bwc.wbsc.org/en/2018/schedule-and-results/box-score/3628

Game Highlights

Edited by phelps

Arriba, Mexico! Beats Japan, wins U-23 Baseball World Cup

Mexico makes history. With a 2-1 win in a dramatic ten-inning final, Mariachis win the U-23 Baseball World Cup. It’s the first ever baseball title for the Country.

The final, played in front of 6,500 fans in Edgar Renteria stadium in Barranquilla, Colombia, may go to the history books as the epitome of the World Title game.

Starting pitchers Hiroki Kondo and Carlos Morales took a no score into the tenth and Mexico got the last out in a bases loaded situation.

“It’s easy to say it now” commented Mexico’s manager Josè Reyes “But we did come here to win. Of course it wasn’t easy. This tournament was very competitive”.

Mexico had the best chances to score, in the regular nine innings.

With two outs in the top of the second, Alan Garcia singled.

Orlando Piña and Bernardo Heras followed with back to back base hits.

Heras’ hit went to right field, patrolled by phenom outfielder Ukyo Shuto.

Shuto came up with a perfect throw home and catcher Hariuchi Kengo tagged Garcia for the out.

It was the sixth assist by Shuto in the tournament.

Mexico’s starter Carlos Morales no hit Japan, a team that entered the World Title Game with a .357 team batting average, for five innings.  

In the sixth, first baseman Julian Ornelas helped him with an outstanding catch on a hard-hit liner by Shuto himself.

With two outs, Taiga Matsuo singled to left field.

Japan won’t get another hit.

“I relied very much on my fastball,” said Mexico’s starting pitcher Carlos Morales “And I mixed it with a lot of change ups and the occasional slider. The strategy worked.”
Your control was outstanding: “If you play a team as good as Japan, you’re not going to accomplish much if you can’t locate your pitches. I was fortunate enough to throw a lot of strikes tonight.”

Josè Ureña led off the top of the seventh with a double, but Mexico couldn’t advance him any farther.

Marco Jaime led off the top of the eighth with a single.

Norberto Obeso failed to bunt him to second and another opportunity expired.

Both teams went to the bullpen in the ninth.

Kakeru Narita relieved Hiroki Kondo.

Japan’s hurler was not as phenomenal al Morales, but allowed no runs on seven hits, 99 pitches, issuing only a walk.

Narita got started with a walk, then got away with it with a little help from shortstop Matsuo.

Japan’s defense hasn’t committed an error in the whole tournament.

Mexico scored all the runs needed to win in the top of the tenth.

Bernardo Heras bunted the tie break runners to second and third.

Fabricio Macias looked at a ball, then singled up the middle to score both.

“I’m very happy. Baseball gives you another chance. In previous games I had good at bats, but couldn’t get the hit” said Fabricio Macias at the end of the game “I had a feeling that something good was going to happen, I felt very well in this game and had to focus a lot in this at bat, that was the key to the title.”

Rafael Ordaz had relieved in the top of the ninth Morales who, in his own words, had given “all he had” (99 pitches).

After Yasuhito Uchida bunted the tie break runners to second and third, Ordaz retired Hisanori Yasuda on a grounder, but couldn’t prevent Japan’s first run.

Then he walked Kento Harasawa.

Mexico called Sergio Alvarado from the bullpen, but the newcomer walked the bases loaded.

The ball went then to Erick Casillas, who got started with two balls. On a 2-2 count, Kenji Nishimaki flied out to right field to end the game.

“It’s baseball” commented José Reyes “I knew that a swing of the bat could change everything. I also knew I had my most experienced pitcher on the mound.”

On a final note, Fabricio Macias added: “I’m happy to be World Champion. I’m proud of myself, I’m proud of my family, and the people who supported me. It’s one more triumph in my carreer.”

Gold Medal Match

:MEX Mexico b. :JPN Japan  2-1 (10 Innings)

Boxscore

https://u23bwc.wbsc.org/en/2018/schedule-and-results/box-score/3629

Game Highlights

2018 WBSC Baseball U-23 World Cup Final Standings

Gold: :MEX Mexico

Silver: :JPN Japan

Bronze: :VEN Venezuela

4th,   :KOR South Korea

5th,   :TPE Chinese Taipei

6th,   :DOM Dominican Republic

7th,   :COL Colombia

8th,   :PUR Puerto Rico