website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2018

Totallympics

And what was up with Arakelian of Ukraine refusing to shake the hand of the guy from American Samoa (Failauga) in the first repechage round after he (Arakelian) got injured?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 10/24/2018 at 02:47, MHSN said:

yeah a bit hard for the refs as well. so many dubious situations but I think the final score was just fair. very good officiating. even though they had to be corrected by challenge review panel lol

in first action, JPN had a takedown first (a bit dubious if he completed the TD or not. I think he did) then RUS lifted him from the mat and threw him for 4 (that's a 4 not 2 because RUS was on his feet and not sitting on the mat) and then JPN pushed him out of the mat. so 4-3 for Russia was correct.

in second action in first period (didn't go to challenge but still the call might be considered dubious) JPN attacked and RUS trying for a turn exposed himself and also JPN but Japanese wrestler's shoulders didn't touch the mat and in this case attacking wrestler doesn't lose point. so 2-0 for JPN was correct. (they gave 4pts to the defensive wrestler in such action even less less dubious than this one in 2016 Olympics in Gomez-Novruzov match which was a big robbery)

first action in second period. something more or less similar to the last one. expect this time. RUS wasn't sitting on the mat and when JPN threw him to his back none of them had contact with the mat except their feet. first they gave just 2 to JPN but after the challenge that was 4. which was correct.

second action in 2nd period with 30 seconds to go. more or less simllar to the 2nd one. JPN attacked , RUS on defensive mode tried a throw but his back exposed and then he had a takedown. at first they gave 2-1 to JPN after the challenge it was 2-2. but to me the correct call was 2-1. because Takedown on counter attack is just 1pt (and not 2) they gave him 2 justifying that by probably saying JPN also had exposure , to me he didn't. I guess they knew that but since they gave the previous one to JPN and the mafia boss Tedeyev was there. they didn't want to make him very angry ! (later he showed how he will react when he is angry)

at 14-10 . RUS on par-terre escaped from the mat very obvious. that's 1pts penalty and continue of the par-terre position in center of the mat. center referee stupidly forgot that and after few seconds they reminded him of the mistake.

Thanks for the magnificent analysis. I just watched the match with the analysis by the side just to understand the rules better.

So one question - with 30 seconds left to go in the 2nd period, JPN clearly took down Russia onto his back, and both of them were on their feet when action began. So why was it a 2 and not a 4 (JPN coach clearly thought it was 4). Is it because JPN didnt have control with the Russian on his back ?? (Also, in this action, the final result after review WAS 2-1 in favor of Japan, and not 2-2. Russia got the extra point because of a failed challenge from Japan).

Also, in the end when they put the Russian in par-terre, shudnt the clock have been reset for 4 seconds to 7 seconds. It didn't matter much but shud have been done right ??

23 minutes ago, kapil857 said:

Thanks for the magnificent analysis. I just watched the match with the analysis by the side just to understand the rules better.

So one question - with 30 seconds left to go in the 2nd period, JPN clearly took down Russia onto his back, and both of them were on their feet when action began. So why was it a 2 and not a 4 (JPN coach clearly thought it was 4). Is it because JPN didnt have control with the Russian on his back ?? (Also, in this action, the final result after review WAS 2-1 in favor of Japan, and not 2-2. Russia got the extra point because of a failed challenge from Japan).

Also, in the end when they put the Russian in par-terre, shudnt the clock have been reset for 4 seconds to 7 seconds. It didn't matter much but shud have been done right ??

I watched it again, the first action was a bit dubious. that also could be a 4 but I think the Russian wrestler's bottom hit the mat first before getting exposed .maybe a millisecond before that . 2 was probably more correct but still they could justify giving him a 4. there is also another way justify the two. the Japanese initial attack failed. then the Russian tried a counter attack turn (which made him the attacker) but he threw the Japanese on his own back. in this case the attacking wrestler gives up 2pts and not 4. this is very clear within the rules the attacking wrestler never gives up 4pts in any case.

and yeah you are right about that action in 2nd period. I didn't notice that "blue" made the challenge and not red. that was a very stupid challenge IMO. that was clearly a 2. and 1 for RUS for counter attack takedown.

yes they should but they NEVER reset the clock in situations like this .:wall: that was just 3 seconds but I had seen situations like someone had a takedown and scored multiple gut-wrench and then after the challenge they found it the original takedown was illegal. therefore they erased all those points but didn't reset the clock ! I'm talking about something like 30 seconds. which is unbelievable. .I'm not sure about this but I think there is nothing in the rules about resetting the clock. UWW officials are not the smartest persons in the world.

btw something about the officiating in wrestling , we have 3 officials. center referee, judge (the one in front of the camera) and the mat chairman (the one you don't see usually. sitting behind the camera) the mat chairman is usually the one making the decisions. the other just always watch at him and just do whatever he does. and only few selected UWW officials can sit there as a mat chairman.

Edited by MHSN

22 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I watched it again, the first action was a bit dubious. that also could be a 4 but I think the Russian wrestler's bottom hit the mat first before getting exposed .maybe a millisecond before that . 2 was probably more correct but still they could justify giving him a 4. there is also another way justify the two. the Japanese initial attack failed. then the Russian tried a counter attack turn (which made him the attacker) but he threw the Japanese on his own back. in this case the attacking wrestler gives up 2pts and not 4. this is very clear within the rules the attacking wrestler never gives up 4pts in any case.

and yeah you are right about that action in 2nd period. I didn't notice that "blue" made the challenge and not red. that was a very stupid challenge IMO. that was clearly a 2. and 1 for RUS for counter attack takedown.

yes they should but they NEVER reset the clock in situations like this .:wall: that was just 3 seconds but I had seen situations like someone had a takedown and scored multiple gut-wrench and then after the challenge they found it the original takedown was illegal. therefore they erased all those points but didn't reset the clock ! I'm talking about something like 30 seconds. which is unbelievable. .I'm not sure about this but I think there is nothing in the rules about resetting the clock. UWW officials are not the smartest persons in the world.

btw something about the officiating in wrestling , we have 3 officials. center referee, judge (the one in front of the camera) and the mat chairman (the one you don't see usually. sitting behind the camera) the mat chairman is usually the one making the decisions. the other just always watch at him and just do whatever he does. and only few selected UWW officials can sit there as a mat chairman.

Actually my question was about the 2nd period - the one where blue made the challenge. The action that happens with Jpn leading 10-8 and 28 secs left to go. It was initially given 2-1, JPN challenged asking for 4, challenge was turned down and hence Russia got extra point to make it 12-10. You say that it your opinion, it was a stupid challenge and a clear 2. Just want to understand why. To me, it seems like a 4 - JPN seems to be the clear attacker till they hit the ground and they seem to go from feet to Russian's back, at which point Russia counters and gets the 1. I am guessing you are saying it was 2 as may be Russia's bottom hit the ground a milisecond before JPN. but seemed like a 4 to me (and of course the JPN coach who challenged).

2 minutes ago, kapil857 said:

Actually my question was about the 2nd period - the one where blue made the challenge. The action that happens with Jpn leading 10-8 and 28 secs left to go. It was initially given 2-1, JPN challenged asking for 4, challenge was turned down and hence Russia got extra point to make it 12-10. You say that it your opinion, it was a stupid challenge and a clear 2. Just want to understand why. To me, it seems like a 4 - JPN seems to be the clear attacker till they hit the ground and they seem to go from feet to Russian's back, at which point Russia counters and gets the 1. I am guessing you are saying it was 2 as may be Russia's bottom hit the ground a milisecond before JPN. but seemed like a 4 to me (and of course the JPN coach who challenged).

first that was stupid only because JPN was leading the match and you don't want to lose a cheap point (plus your challenge chance) for a situation like this

but no that one wasn't dubious. clearly a 2. Japan's knee was on the mat when the action started. That doesn't count as a feet to back 4pts throw. the attacking wrestler himself also has to be in standing position.

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

first that was stupid only because JPN was leading the match and you don't want to lose a cheap point (plus your challenge chance) for a situation like this

but no that one wasn't dubious. clearly a 2. Japan's knee was on the mat when the action started. That doesn't count as a feet to back 4pts throw. the attacking wrestler himself also has to be in standing position.

Ah ok...got it...thanks a lot :yes 

3 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Curious why the lowest womens weight category in this event was 50 kg , while the lowest olympic category is 48 Kgs ?????

The lowest Olympic category is 50 kg, they changed it for Tokyo, you can see it here in the qualification system: http://comiteolimpicoportugal.pt/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/UWW-Wrestling.pdf