website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

Long interview with Lasitskene on her(lack of) messages with ukrainian athletes, why she won't change flags, the letter to Bach and her fight against the federation and sports minister. It's a good read. I think she has a point on the hipocrisy of the ban when tennis players (Wimbledon aside) are playing like nothing happened. But I guess nothing will change in the near future. https://t.co/9ZG4XjtbZ4

8 hours ago, NMQ said:

Long interview with Lasitskene on her(lack of) messages with ukrainian athletes, why she won't change flags, the letter to Bach and her fight against the federation and sports minister. It's a good read. I think she has a point on the hipocrisy of the ban when tennis players (Wimbledon aside) are playing like nothing happened. But I guess nothing will change in the near future. https://t.co/9ZG4XjtbZ4

Talking about it... Kasatkina talking about peace in her winning speech is better than banning her, I guess... Or maybe it helps the propaganda :dunno:

1 hour ago, NMQ said:

Talking about it... Kasatkina talking about peace in her winning speech is better than banning her, I guess... Or maybe it helps the propaganda :dunno:

Kasatkina seems to be on quite a roll anyway in terms of speaking up and out :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2022 at 8:49 PM, hckošice said:

:LAT Parliament has ratified a new sports law that prohibits Latvian athletes from playing in Russian and Belarusian leagues and cooperating with agents from these countries.

In case of violation of this law, the player will be banned for life from representing Latvia.

So far the only :LAT player who signed a contract this summer with :RUS club is Miks Indrašis who signed for Spartak Moscow.  According to the law his international career officially ended.

Same stuff (but not at parliamentry level) was also implied in :SWE and :FIN , both federations unofficially threatened their players in KHL they will not be called for their respective national teams.

In :SVK we do not have such strict measure yet (Unless the player will openly promote or publicly agree with the invasion) even players from KHL can play for our NT. So far there even 5 Slovaks who signed with KHL teams this summer Michal Čajkovský, Patrik Rybár, Christián Jaroš, Michal Krištof and Adam Liška... Will be interesting to see if Ramsay will call them next season to the National Team though, probably yes (unless as mentioned above they openly promote or sympathize with the invasion)

I missed it, but after :FIN :SWE :CZE and :LAT we have another country which will refuse to call its players from KHL to the National team.

The country is France.

:FRA has actually 2 players (and we are speaking here about 2 of the Top 5/6 best French players currently) Stephane Da Costa and Yohann Auvitu

https://www.lequipe.fr/Hockey-sur-glace/Actualites/Yohann-auvitu-et-stephane-da-costa-non-selectionnables-en-equipe-de-france-en-raison-de-la-guerre-en-ukraine/1352389

Still waiting for the move from Slovak federation, currently 7 slovaks are playing in KHL (one of the biggest amount of foreigners playing there right now ...)

and just like that our federation officially announced that Slovak players from KHL will be accepted and called to our NT, wow, would have never guessed that https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/xToHqlK/szlh-rozhodol-hraci-z-khl-budu-reprezentovat-slovensko-aj-nadalej/

So far the only 5 countries :CZE :FIN :SWE :LAT and :FRA  decided to not call their KHLers to the NT, Slovakia is the first one to officially announce the opposite in a statement

"Both the SZĽH Executive Committee and the Slovak Ice Hockey Association will always respect international agreements and valid Slovak laws. We believe that the players who are currently playing in Russia do not violate both international agreements and our laws.

So we will rely on the Olympic Charter, according to which sport should be a tool of unification. Attacks and hostility towards athletes are unacceptable, just as any warlike conflict is unacceptable. For this reason, we will continue to select players for the national team according to their current form and not the league in which they operate." released today our federation in its statement

The article also mention the amount of foreign players playing right now in KHL

:CAN - 42 Players

:USA - 12

:SVK - 7 (GK Patrik Rybár and Adam Húska, DEF Michal Čajkovský and Christián Jaroš and FWD Michal Krištof, Adam Liška and Samuel Buček).

:SWE - 6

:CZE - 4

:FRA - 2

:GER - 2

:LAT - 2

:FIN - 1

22 hours ago, hckošice said:

and just like that our federation officially announced that Slovak players from KHL will be accepted and called to our NT, wow, would have never guessed that https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/xToHqlK/szlh-rozhodol-hraci-z-khl-budu-reprezentovat-slovensko-aj-nadalej/

So far the only 5 countries :CZE :FIN :SWE :LAT and :FRA  decided to not call their KHLers to the NT, Slovakia is the first one to officially announce the opposite in a statement

"Both the SZĽH Executive Committee and the Slovak Ice Hockey Association will always respect international agreements and valid Slovak laws. We believe that the players who are currently playing in Russia do not violate both international agreements and our laws.

So we will rely on the Olympic Charter, according to which sport should be a tool of unification. Attacks and hostility towards athletes are unacceptable, just as any warlike conflict is unacceptable. For this reason, we will continue to select players for the national team according to their current form and not the league in which they operate." released today our federation in its statement

The article also mention the amount of foreign players playing right now in KHL

:CAN - 42 Players

:USA - 12

:SVK - 7 (GK Patrik Rybár and Adam Húska, DEF Michal Čajkovský and Christián Jaroš and FWD Michal Krištof, Adam Liška and Samuel Buček).

:SWE - 6

:CZE - 4

:FRA - 2

:GER - 2

:LAT - 2

:FIN - 1

Telenovela,

Chapter II. Episode 35723590643...

The main sponsor of our Hockey NT and Federation as well obviously (Orange Slovensko), send today to the federation a very openly-sharp letter in which they expressed great concern and in which they believe (read - expect) a reconsideration of the decision from the federation. :p

So let see the Next episode :p

On 9/9/2022 at 4:37 PM, hckošice said:

Telenovela,

Chapter II. Episode 35723590643...

The main sponsor of our Hockey NT and Federation as well obviously (Orange Slovensko), send today to the federation a very openly-sharp letter in which they expressed great concern and in which they believe (read - expect) a reconsideration of the decision from the federation. :p

So let see the Next episode :p

For all die-hard fans of this telenovela, we have today a new episode :whistle:

The state apparetnly threatens our Ice Hockey federation to stop funding them if they will not change their decision to call our players from the KHL to the NT ...

The Ministry of Sports released today this official statement

"The section of Sport of the Ministry of Education, Sports, Science and Research of the Slovak Republic will re-open the contract on the provision of a state contribution to the Ice Hockey Federation (SZĽH), which also includes the purpose of funds for the National Teams of Slovakia, and we will investigate about the legitimacy of the funds for these players (operating in the KHL) in connection with the activities of the national team. Considering that the national Team of the Slovak Republic is a public interest and it is also defined in the Sports Act, we will try to harmonize the public interest of the state with hockey."

https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/HxVxCk0/ministerstvo-skolstva-reaguje-na-rozhodnutie-szlh-otvorime-zmluvu-o-poskytovani-statneho-prispevku/

Absolutely nothing changed since they banned Russians from international competitions, the war is still ongoing, so it would look a bit foolish if they changed their minds on it now. You have crossed this bridge, backing down now when Russians are still killing Ukrainians would look like Russia has won in the world of sports against Ukraine. 

I wasn't sure if I was on board with the ban, but now that it has been made official and implemented for many months, I think it should only end when the war itself is over. 

Edited by Vektor

15 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Absolutely nothing changed since they banned Russians from international competitions, the war is still ongoing, so it would look a bit foolish if they changed their minds on it now. You have crossed this bridge, backing down now when Russians are still killing Ukrainians would look like Russia has won in the world of sports against Ukraine. 

I wasn't sure if I was on board with the ban, but now that it has been made official and implemented for many months, I think it should only end when the war itself is over. 

Possibly, when the initial décision was made, it was expected that the war would be over soon enough and that russian sport would be reinstalled once the peace was broken.

Now that it looks like that the war could drag for years, IOC might look for a new long term solution regarding the :RUS-:BLR athletes