website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

22 hours ago, hckošice said:

Pavel Sivakov (Road Cycling) abandoned his russian citizenship and asked for French passport

tbh, he asked to switch his UCI nationality way before the war, and he's already a french citizen since he turned 18.

image.png

Governments from 37 countries asked sports federations to ban Russian athletes from all international competitions.

The list includes United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, France, Germany, Italy and United Kingdom.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1120290/govs-russian-ukraine-sanctions

12 hours ago, Makedonas said:

https://sportsfeed.gr/me-rosia-to-pagkosmio-ydatosfairisis/

According to this, Russian water polo teams WILL compete at this year's World Championships...

I doubt it. Hungary are the signatory of the boycott letter and that would contradict that. 

I think it is a very difficult situation. 
i believe the best solution would be to allow individual athletes to compete as independent athletes, but to ban Russia and Belarus from all team sports. 
but that is only my view, I think although it is not the athletes fault what is happening in Ukraine, still there must be a sort of consequence. 

Let's not conveniently forget that Russia was not a normal country in good standing with the IOC and the sports world for other well known matters, and on the verge of being outright banned since 2016. So allowing athletes to compete as independent = no difference at all from the previous situation at the most important competitions, all sports WCh and Olympics, where this was already happening. Not to talk about some specific sports when they were well past that point.

What to do if the current situation will drag on for years is a more difficult decision, I guess Europeans kicking out Russia and the more friendly Asians welcoming them, in a Israel case in reverse, to start a reintegration in the sports world. But who knows, Russians can start some other shit in the meantime.

12 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

I doubt it. Hungary are the signatory of the boycott letter and that would contradict that. 

I was also surprised. However, according to this article, FINA released the lists of teams taking part in the water polo tournament to the participating federations, and Russia was included in that.

Of course there is still time to change it, or it could be an error. FINA are not known for being competent...