website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

Just now, Vektor said:

It's not "most of the world". It's US + Europe + Japan + South Korea + Canada, it's countries inside the American sphere of influence. That's our part of the world, but not most of the world, not in terms of number of nations, not in terms of population, far from it.

The likes of South Africa and Brazil have condemned the invasion too.

Speaking of sports specifically, is there one nation/NOC/IF which is openly opposing and calling out these sanctions against Belarus and Russia?

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

I think “war of conquest” is a pretty decent line. In Crimea there was conquest but certainly no war (it was more a bloodless coup than anything else). If Putin had just done a “peacekeeping” escapade in the Donbas I think most of the world would have waved their fingers but not have reacted too strongly.

But invading a country that quite clearly does not want to be invaded for the clear goal of annexing it (Putin sort of discredited any plausible deniability with his speech)? Wherever the line is, surely that is beyond it?

This is the problem, we don't have an escalation ladder. You annex Crimea, no problem pass us some more of the Vodka while we enjoy the Football World Cup. You do peacekeeping in Donbas, aah tough luck Ukrainians, busy booking my tickets to Moscow. Tanks surrounding Kyiv, that is it. No Russian shall even think of sports. 

Also, need to figure out how to allow local protests while maintaining sports code. For example, for us tanks surrounding Kyiv is war of conquest but I am sure for Ukrainians even Crimea was war of conquest. And what if some nation wants to boycott another nation for some other things. Take for an example, if some nation wants to boycott Qatar WC, should they be allowed to do so? What should be the sanctions, if any, they face? IOC even threatened consequences if a nation skipped Tokyo Olympics. (Not sure if they followed up on it or not). 

20 minutes ago, opruh said:

West and its allies at most is around 1.5+ billion people. China and India alone which stated their neutrality here is 3+ billion. While the most of the world is united in stopping the war asap, not the same can be said about this strange moves in the sporting world being spearheaded by the west.

I would like if you didn't include India alongside China. Though abstaining, we have categorically said there should be cessation of violence from Russia. We are abstaining because we need Russian veto in case of Pakistan/China resolutions. Also, our dependence on Russia for defence equipments. 

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

I would like if you didn't include India alongside China. Though abstaining, we have categorically said there should be cessation of violence from Russia. We are abstaining because we need Russian veto in case of Pakistan/China resolutions. Also, our dependence on Russia for defence equipments. 

Is india sanctioning Russia? india and China are currently both neutral at the moment whether you like it or not. 

15 minutes ago, opruh said:

Is india sanctioning Russia? india and China are currently both neutral at the moment whether you like it or not. 

I am perfectly fine with India being neutral. I think our govt has handled a difficult situation quite well. But difference between Indian and Chinese position is while we are calling for an end to violence, Chinese are talking about Russia's legitimate security demands.  

51 minutes ago, opruh said:

4 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Unbelievable. The kind of things we read here...

Why ? 

Indian is a part  and member of NAM (non aligned movement ) 

Like many others countries in south America and Africa 

So India being neutral is a normal thing 

4 minutes ago, amen09 said:

Why ? 

Indian is a part  and member of NAM (non aligned movement ) 

Like many others countries in south America and Africa 

So India being neutral is a normal thing 

Well, I don't see how this is "handling a difficult situation quite well". But everyone is entitled to have an opinion.