website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Russia-Ukraine War

Totallympics

General secretary of the NATO Jens Stoltenberg has reported today that the drone which crashed in Zagreb was unarmed.

But as we know the traces of an explosive have been found, so Stoltenberg's statement from today was either based on the preliminary report from Friday, or he was just blatantly lying (let's hope not).

Either way, it was a foolish mistake to make. And once again quite unbelievable the lengths they are going to sweep this whole incident under the rug. If some 50 year old Soviet garbage can spend a whole hour in the NATO airspace and land in a capital city of a member state, then what's to stop a missile from landing in Warsaw/Prague/Berlin?

#banbestmen

On our national holiday Orbán pretty much declared in front of a huge crowd of Hungarians that we must stay neutral. He said that the EU and US won't protect the interests of Hungarians and they might sacrifice us for their own gains. "We are between East and West, North and South." "We can't gain anything from this war, but we can lose everything" He sees Hungary as this neutral state between Western Europe and Russia, not as a country that is firmly in the Western alliance, which is very strange because we are part of NATO. And he clearly doesn't care at all about what happens to Ukraine.

Meanwhile the opposition also had their big rally before the election and Donald Tusk pretty much called Orbán a traitor. He said that the Hungarian opposition must win this fight for Europe the same way Ukraine has to win their fight against Russia. The opposition is  going full in on the Western Europeans message and hope to God that Hungarians want to be part of Europe. Based on polling I think the opposition will be disappointed, Orbán's message of "we should protect our own interest above all else" is resonating with the Hungarian public. 

1 hour ago, dcro said:

General secretary of the NATO Jens Stoltenberg has reported today that the drone which crashed in Zagreb was unarmed.

But as we know the traces of an explosive have been found, so Stoltenberg's statement from today was either based on the preliminary report from Friday, or he was just blatantly lying (let's hope not).

Either way, it was a foolish mistake to make. And once again quite unbelievable the lengths they are going to sweep this whole incident under the rug. If some 50 year old Soviet garbage can spend a whole hour in the NATO airspace and land in a capital city of a member state, then what's to stop a missile from landing in Warsaw/Prague/Berlin?

But what's being 'swept under the rug', exactly? And where? Because I've seen articles in mainstream media in several countries about it the past days..

Surely nobody is expecting this to dominate the major news outlets for days? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

But what's being 'swept under the rug', exactly? And where? Because I've seen articles in mainstream media in several countries about it the past days..

Surely nobody is expecting this to dominate the major news outlets for days? :p 

Well, of course not, but doesn't help that Stoltenberg is publically downplaying the incident, for one reason or another.

For what it's worth, none of the politicians are taking it seriously enough here either. Right now they are creating a circus with the French Rafales, a convenient smokescreen.

And yeah, I am biased too. But I have to be since it crashed next to a sidewalk which I have passed many, many times, often around 11pm, the time of day it crashed. Also I have friends who very nearly became victims of this totally avoidable international incident.

#banbestmen

NZ immigration has accepted at least 4000 Ukrainian refugees with family already in NZ that belong to the Ukrainian diaspora here will be eligible to immigrate asap. This is the intial phase with more perhaps down the track. Better than nothing I suppose.