website statistics

Canada at the 2022 Commonwealth Games

intoronto

Canada Day 9 Review

Day 9 saw Canada win 17 medals (3 gold, 5 silver, 9 bronze). Overall, Canada had a pretty good day. We have now surpassed our medal total from 2018 so that's a huge positive. Here's how we did for each sport.

Athletics

We won three medals thanks to our hammer throw team, led by Camryn Rogers winning gold in the women's event. As for the other events, we drew just short in the men's and women's 200m and men's 3000m steeplechase. I was hoping for a bit more, but in the end you have to remember that we are missing a lot of key athletes.

Badminton

Michelle Li won her quarterfinal match against Northern Ireland and will face India in the semis. Unfortunately, our women's doubles team lost out to the Australian pair.

Beach Volleyball

Both teams won their semifinal match with the men defeating England and the women winning against New Zealand. The teams now have a double header against Australia to determine the gold medal.

Boxing

3/4 boxers lost today, giving us three bronze medals. Our lone victor was Tammara  Thibeault in the women's middleweight. She faces off against Mozambique's Rady Gramane in the final.

Diving

Not the greatest day for us. We only won a single bronze medal in the women's 3m synchronized springboard. A poor final dive in the women's 10m synchronized platform cost us a medal.

Field Hockey

Our men's team lost the seventh place match against Pakistan and finished 8th. While I acknowledge that our men's team is in rebuilding mode, I had hope that they would perform a bit better.

Gymnastics

The apparatus finals were today and Canada came away with four medals, two silvers and two bronze from the combined performances of Carmel Kallemaa (hoop, clubs, ribbon) and Suzanna Shahbazian (ball). This concludes gymnastics where Canada finished with 13 medals, the same as we did in 2018.

Squash

Our men's doubles team lost their quarterfinal match against England. The match was always going to be tough to win, but we did our best. All of our teams have been eliminated.

Table Tennis

Our final team has been eliminated. Our women's doubles team lost in the round of 16. Canada will not medal in table tennis, though to be fair it was always going to be difficult to do so.

Wrestling

Following up the performance from yesterday, all six of our wrestlers won a medal meaning Canada went 12/12 in wrestling. We won 2 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze.

Canada Day 10 Review

Day 10 saw Canada win 7 medals (4 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze). Overall, Canada had an okay day. Here's how we did for each sport.

Athletics

Canada won two gold medals. Evan Dunfee won the 10,000m race walk while our women's 4x400m relay team won after the disqualification from England. In the end, Canada finishes the sport with 7 medals, about half as many as what we had in 2018 so this was a relatively poor performance. Yes we are missing some of our top athletes, but so many of our athletes competing here just missed out on the podium.

Badminton

Michelle Li won her semifinal match against Scotland's Kirsty Gilmour which means Canada will be guaranteed a medal on the final day. Her opponent will be P. V. Sindhu of India.

Beach Volleyball

The women won gold while the men won silver. On paper Australia was our only competition so finishing in the top two was expected so I am glad our teams performed up to those expectations.

Boxing

Tammara Thibeault won gold in the women's middleweight to give Canada its fourth medal in boxing. While this is less than the six won in 2018, Canada sent a smaller team and this was my expectation.

Cycling

The road race was today. Our top performing cyclists were Pier Andre Cote (13th) and Maggie Coles-Lyster (5th) in the men's and women's race respectively. Both athletes were in it until the end so overall I am happy with their performances.

Diving

Canada won a silver and bronze in the men's 10m platform and women's 3m springboard respectively. Maybe it was my high expectations for our divers, but I feel they haven't been doing as well as they could. With that said, we have now matched our total from 2018.

Field Hockey

Canada women won the 5th place match against Scotland 3-1, capping off a good performance by the team. Hopefully this gives them the confidence to qualify to the Olympics.

Canada Day 11 & Overall Review

Day 11 saw Canada win 1 medal (1 silver) to close off the Commonwealth Games. Here's how we did for each sport.

Badminton

Michelle Li lost the final against P. V. Sindhu to win silver, preventing us from finishing the sport without a medal.

Diving

The mixed synchronized events were held today with Canada failing to win a medal. Typically, our divers don't practice together for these events so it's tough for us to do well.

OVERALL

Canada did well at these games despite missing a few key athletes. We won 26 gold medals and 92 overall medals which places us in line with recent previous performances. Here's how we did for each sport relative to 2018

Sport

(Total)

(Total)

Athletics 13 7
Badminton 0 1
Basketball 1 4
Beach Volleyball 2 2
Boxing 6 4
Cricket N/A 0
Cycling 3 5
Diving 6 6
Field Hockey 0 0
Gymnastics 13 13
Judo N/A 8
Lawn bowls 1 0
Netball 0 0
Powerlifting 0 0
Rugby Sevens 0 0
Shooting 1 N/A
Squash 0 1
Swimming 20 20
Table Tennis 0 0
Triathlon 1 1
Weightlifting 5 8
Wrestling 10 12

In general, we matched or slightly improved from our performance in 2018 with the notable exception being in athletics where we lost six medals. Boxing and lawn bowls saw a slight decrease. Canada also had a net benefit from dropping shooting and replacing it with judo as we went from 1 medal to 8, making it the biggest reason why we finished third and India finished fourth on the table.