website statistics

Wrestling UWW Junior World Championships 2018

nitinsanker

28 minutes ago, phelps said:

I understand your point of view and your expectations, but let me tell you, my friend...

you can't even imagine how much I'd like Italy being as "bad" as Iran in Wrestling...:rofl:;)

:d in this case I also would like Iran to be as bad as Italy in Water Polo, Fencing and volleyball (just named these sports since they are my favorite sports)

but seriously our freestyle is not in good situation. I compared them with Greco team and comparing to winning 4 gold medals this is already a very bad result. which is a bit weird because freestyle is 10 times more popular in Iran. in Persian we call Greco wrestling as "Western wrestling" the meaning is this is not ours !

the thing is I don't know what's the reason behind this. we got very weak in freestyle all of a sudden after 2016. while I'm quite sure they have better coaches in freestyle. better preparation, a bigger pool of wrestlers to pick from. even our senior team is very weak at the moment. we won one medal last year in Paris and this is very possible to repeat the same result in Hungary this year.

11 hours ago, MHSN said:

that was the story of the day for Iran. this is the 4th defeat in last 20 seconds. and the most painful one. obviously there is something wrong. they just can't focus in last 30 seconds.

well we will have one wrestler in the final tomorrow and he already beat Russia. so maybe one gold. still a very bad tournament.

abbas not only beat the russian ..................he really wiped the floor with him ........................so he looks good for the gold 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

12 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

(...)

but seriously our freestyle is not in good situation. I compared them with Greco team and comparing to winning 4 gold medals this is already a very bad result. which is a bit weird because freestyle is 10 times more popular in Iran. in Persian we call Greco wrestling as "Western wrestling" the meaning is this is not ours !

the thing is I don't know what's the reason behind this. we got very weak in freestyle all of a sudden after 2016. while I'm quite sure they have better coaches in freestyle. better preparation, a bigger pool of wrestlers to pick from. even our senior team is very weak at the moment. we won one medal last year in Paris and this is very possible to repeat the same result in Hungary this year.

I know, I've always seen Iran excelling in Freestyle rather than Greco for years and years...

but then suddenly you also started to win a lot of medals also in Greco and Freestyle results have been getting worse and worse in the last few seasons...

and if even you don't know why it happened...:dunno:

Just now, phelps said:

I know, I've always seen Iran excelling in Freestyle rather than Greco for years and years...

but then suddenly you also started to win a lot of medals also in Greco and Freestyle results have been getting worse and worse in the last few seasons...

and if even you don't know why it happened...:dunno:

we always had up and down in wrestling but we started to get thing steady since 2012 and even though still the same coach and the same federation is still in office we just started to get weak after Rio Olympics. maybe because the others studied our "pushing pushing and underhook" style and we didn't upgrade it.

as for Greco, we owe that to one person our legendary coach Banna. he spent few years of his life trained a new generation, (Sourian and co) they started to get results since 2006 and of course 2012 was the peak for him winning 3 Olympic gold medals which will be never repeated. we got a bit weaker since our stars starting to retire but since our junior teams are getting good results we can be positive about the future.

14 hours ago, phelps said:

I understand your point of view and your expectations, but let me tell you, my friend...

you can't even imagine how much I'd like Italy being as "bad" as Iran in Wrestling...:rofl:;)

At least Italy has had some decent results in recent years, mainly thanks to Chamizo, while GB doesn't even have any WC participants in a sport with 18 Olympic classes. :roflmao:

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

3 minuti fa, Quasit ha scritto:

At least Italy has had some decent results in recent years, mainly thanks to Chamizo, while GB doesn't even have any WC participants in a sport with 18 Olympic classes. :roflmao:

but since Beijing 2008 GBR have been one of the top Nations at the Olympics...way better than Italy, for instance (and if we go back not later than 1996, we all know how British sport was...in that year, if it weren't for the great Steven Redgrave, it would have been a glorious 0 Gold at the Games for the British team)...

so, I wouldn't mind to have a discipline or two where we don't even bother to participate if then the overall result is that...;)

Edited by phelps

1 minute ago, phelps said:

but since Beijing 2008 GBR have been one of the top Nations at the Olympics...way better than Italy, for instance (and if we go back not later than 1996, we all know how British sport was...in that year, if it weren't for the great Steven Redgrave, it would have been a glorious 0 Gold at the Games for the British team)...

so, I wouldn't mind to have a discipline or two where we don't even bother to participate if then the overall result is that...;)

Yes, which is why GB is the worst of the "big" teams to allow such a performance (1996) to happen. Wouldn't happen to Russia, USA, China etc. and the trend can easily go on a downwards spiral again because everything is based on funding and target performances as the base for funding for the next Olympic cycle. If for example rowing remains in the state it is now in Tokyo, I don't think it's going to be a good sign. For a flagship sport no less. Then again, GB has the tendency of not taking (certain) world championships very seriously, which is annoying me. :d

Also for wrestling, GB had some kind of history in Freestyle at least but as with many sports (Water Polo comes to mind), they let interest slip a bit ages ago. It's not just wrestling, GB is also non-existent in Volleyball, Handball, to an extend Basketball and Water Polo. So, team sports. There's just no interest in certain sports.. at all. Italy on the other hand is at least present everywhere and can surprise on a good day. I can't think of a sport where Italy has no interest in. Perhaps Table Tennis and Badminton are Italy's worst (Olympic) sports.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

1 ora fa, Quasit ha scritto:

Yes, which is why GB is the worst of the "big" teams to allow such a performance (1996) to happen. Wouldn't happen to Russia, USA, China etc. and the trend can easily go on a downwards spiral again because everything is based on funding and target performances as the base for funding for the next Olympic cycle. If for example rowing remains in the state it is now in Tokyo, I don't think it's going to be a good sign. For a flagship sport no less. Then again, GB has the tendency of not taking (certain) world championships very seriously, which is annoying me. :d

Also for wrestling, GB had some kind of history in Freestyle at least but as with many sports (Water Polo comes to mind), they let interest slip a bit ages ago. It's not just wrestling, GB is also non-existent in Volleyball, Handball, to an extend Basketball and Water Polo. So, team sports. There's just no interest in certain sports.. at all. Italy on the other hand is at least present everywhere and can surprise on a good day. I can't think of a sport where Italy has no interest in. Perhaps Table Tennis and Badminton are Italy's worst (Olympic) sports.

Sorry but I can't agree with you for the badminton. We start to invest a lot of money with the Project24 and we start lo see some youth athlete that can improve our level (like Caponio)