website statistics

Day 15 (February 19th, 2022)

Just not very many favourites converting for golds, and none of our half chances converted. Every Canadian Olympic gold medallist was won in an event where Canada was either the defending world champion (or X Game champion for park and pipe events, since the FIS worlds aren't really representative in those events) or ranked number one in the world.

I wasn't expecting us to win that many gold medals, but four is just a crushing disappointment.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Just not very many favourites converting for golds, and none of our half chances converted.

I wasn't expecting us to win that many gold medals, but four is just a crushing disappointment.

Extremely disappointing on the gold medal front - the total medals was about where I expected (with a few more shots in Bobsleigh). 

I was in a wikipedia wormhole the other day and realized that Norway went from 13 golds in 2002 to 2 in 2006. I just am feeling a bit more bullish about our future chances right now.

This has just felt like the most muted Olympics.

So at this point we can safely say that :CAN will end with four gold medals. Some fun stats: this is the least golds won by :CAN since Lillehammer 1994, though there were only 67 events there compared to 109 here. This is only the sixth time :CAN finished outside the top ten at the Winter Olympics, first time since Calgary. Canada's medal table finish in Beijing matches the medal table finish from the past Summer Olympics in Tokyo.

3 minutes ago, james89 said:

Extremely disappointing on the gold medal front - the total medals was about where I expected (with a few more shots in Bobsleigh). 

I was in a wikipedia wormhole the other day and realized that Norway went from 13 golds in 2002 to 2 in 2006. I just am feeling a bit more bullish about our future chances right now.

This has just felt like the most muted Olympics.

It just doesn't feel like very many things were added to the pantheon of great Canadian Olympic moments. The ski jumping bronze is historic but there will always be an asterisk next to it. Max Parrot winning gold is amazing, but again, it's hard for it to feel like a great Olympic moment due to the judging. The team pursuit gold medal also feels weird because of the fall from :JPN at the end.

I think there are only really three medal performance that will really be remembered as great moments in the history of Canadian sports years from now: the 5000m relay (being Hamelin's final race), the women's hockey gold and Laurent Dubreuil winning silver in the 1000m after the disappointment in the 500m.

10 minutes ago, james89 said:

I feel like every Olympics since 2006 Canada has underperformed at Speed Skating. Getting 5 medals and one gold doesn't totally feel like a total disaster. 

I mean, in these Olympics Canada under-performed in every sport where we traditionally expect to win medals. The sports where we exceeded expectations have been Alpine skiing, Biathlon, Cross country skiing and Ski Jumping, for a combined two bronze medals.

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

It just doesn't feel like very many things were added to the pantheon of great Canadian Olympic moments. The ski jumping bronze is historic but there will always be an asterisk next to it. Max Parrot winning gold is amazing, but again, it's hard for it to feel like a great Olympic moment due to the judging. The team pursuit gold medal also feels weird because of the fall from :JPN at the end.

I think there are only really three medal performance that will really be remembered as great moments in the history of Canadian sports years from now: the 5000m relay (being Hamelin's final race), the women's hockey gold and Laurent Dubreuil winning silver in the 1000m after the disappointment in the 500m.

It honestly feels like no one is watching the Olympics to even care. I think Max Parrot and his two medals will be pretty iconic given him fighting cancer in the same quadrennial - even with the judging controversy. 

But you are right - those are probably the medals that we will remember years from now. Even Jack Crawford's medal feels like a bit of an afterthought. 

I'm just hoping the result of Ski Jumping medal is more funding and infrastructure in Canada - even if it was somewhat fluky.

Just now, james89 said:

It honestly feels like no one is watching the Olympics to even care. I think Max Parrot and his two medals will be pretty iconic given him fighting cancer in the same quadrennial - even with the judging controversy. 

But you are right - those are probably the medals that we will remember years from now. Even Jack Crawford's medal feels like a bit of an afterthought. 

I'm just hoping the result of Ski Jumping medal is more funding and infrastructure in Canada - even if it was somewhat fluky.

Crawford's medal feels like an afterthought because everyone believes the combined is a zombie. A medal in the downhill or super-g would have been a much bigger deal.

If renovating Big Thunder, Canada Olympic Park and building training jumps in Whistler comes out of it then it will be worth every single disappointment from the past two weeks.