website statistics

Women's Tennis WTA Tour 2022

Totallympics

On 3/19/2022 at 8:44 AM, Makedonas said:

Also not many countries can say that they've had men and women reach the top 3, now Greece can join that exclusive list. Who would've ever thought this 5-6 years ago even?! :yikes:

Welcome to the club :yes  I hope Sakkari can get the win (though i like Swiatek as well). For some reason, she and Tsitsipas are always having problems and lose in the important matches in the SF / Finals. They are playing very good up until the final stages, but then i don't know, if they get in their heads and just lose the plot. Time for Sakkari to make the next step and win a big title.

40 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Welcome to the club :yes  I hope Sakkari can get the win (though i like Swiatek as well). For some reason, she and Tsitsipas are always having problems and lose in the important matches in the SF / Finals. They are playing very good up until the final stages, but then i don't know, if they get in their heads and just lose the plot. Time for Sakkari to make the next step and win a big title.

Thank you, happy to join our lovely neighbours :)

Yes, but also it seems to be a habit for Maria. She was 0-5 in ITF finals until she finally won one. Then she was 0-7 in Grand Slam third round matches until she finally won one. Then she had a very poor record in semifinals but now she won two of her last three. So hopefully she can slowly start to break all of these trends as she has done before :d

She was 0-4 in WTA 1000 semifinals, but Wuhan 2017 and Rome 2019 she came from the qualifying, it was a big surprise just to make the semifinals, no one expected her to win those. Then Miami 2021 she was an underdog and lost 7-6 in the third, and then Doha 2022 lost to Swiatek. So this match against Badosa was definitely her best chance to finally make a big final (of course last year she also lost in the semifinals of two majors and also WTA Finals).

As for Stefanos, he did win the ATP Finals and a Masters 1000 title already, though I agree he could do better in the later stages of tournaments. He has made 5 GS semifinals but only one final for example, although he always lost to good players (Medvedev 2x, Nadal, Djokovic) so at least he isn't wasting easy draws.

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Just when you think women's tennis couldn't get any more unpredictable, world number one Barty retires out of the blue :yikes:

I have a very mixed feelings about it. I will miss Barty and got a feeling that she comes back soon. But due to this thing Iga may be first ever Polish tennis Number One. 👍

Still, it would taste much better when she would get the 1st spot after beating Barty in French Open final after epic match.

But - congrats to both of them!