website statistics

Women's Tennis WTA Tour 2022

Totallympics

13 hours ago, Monzanator said:

First WTA match between two best Romanian players of the last decade since 2010! :p If Cirstea wins she will actually jump Halep in the rankings?

Yes.

Also they played doubles together at the 2012 Olympics but lost in the first round to the Williams sisters. It seems that they are no longer friends however.

17 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Yes.

Also they played doubles together at the 2012 Olympics but lost in the first round to the Williams sisters. It seems that they are no longer friends however.

Indeed, their relationship isn't so good, that's why this match is so special:d

On 3/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, Monzanator said:

First WTA match between two best Romanian players of the last decade since 2010! :p If Cirstea wins she will actually jump Halep in the rankings?

Yes, two best Romanian players of decade but unfortunatly for us Cirstea retired from Fed Cup team due to bad relations with Halep. I don't wanna think what will be in Romanian media if Cirstea wins:coffee::d

16 hours ago, Makedonas said:

What's the story? Why do they dislike each other?

From what I know they have different personalities and they've never been very close, but the main reasons why they are not friends are:

- in 2014 when Halep played her first GS final against Sharapova, Cirstea did not sent a goodluck message to Halep because "I'm not in Romania":lol:, according to Cirstea's explanations at that time

- in 2017, after Halep lost her 2nd GS Final against Ostapenko, Cirstea became one of the best friends of Ostapenko:lol:

- also in 2017 when Halep became no. 1 WTA, Cirstea did not congratulate Halep. Reason? "I was too busy, my schedule is too busy and I did not have time for this"

:lol:

Sure, all these reasons are hilarious but it's obvious that Cirstea is somehow jealous for Halep achievement.

Anyway I like both of them and I'm proud of them for what they doing for Romania (they are 2 of the few Romanians who represent Romania at high level in sport). The big advantage of this match is that we have a player in next round:thumbup::lol:

Yes, I watched the full match. So proud of Maria. It will be a tough one against Iga, it's the fifth time they've played each other in the last 10 months.

Winner will be ranked number 2, loser will be ranked number 3. Either way, both girls will reach new career-high rankings :yes

Also not many countries can say that they've had men and women reach the top 3, now Greece can join that exclusive list. Who would've ever thought this 5-6 years ago even?! :yikes: