website statistics

Judo IJF World Tour 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

amazing fight between :UKR Daria Bilodid and :GEO Eteri Liparteliani earlier this morning in the women's -57kg class at the Tbilisi Grand Slam tournament...

unfortunately, it all came down to an anti-climatic end...

by the way, here's the full match (it starts at 1h19mins22 secs of the video, if the automatic mark doesn't work)...

• 1 month later...

grand slam tournament in Budapest just came to an end a couple of hours ago...

a few things to remember...

as expected, Japan are still the owners of this game...they did show up with a very strong team (with a few Olympic champions) and won 8 of the 14 gold medals up for grabs...

for the joy :rolleyes: :p of my dear friend @MHSN Saeid Mollaei can still deliver after the new "Mercenary for justice" episode...ops...I mean...the new change of Nationality to Azerbaijan...this time he was second, beaten only in the gold medal fight by the Brazilian Guilherme Schmidt...

Italy was surprisingly good, taking home 1 gold medal (Alice Bellandi in the women's -78kg, the only athlete in the whole tournament to win against the Japanese representative, nothing less than the Olympic champion Shori Hamada), 2 silver medals (the amazing 17 years young Giulia Carnà in the women's -52kg and Christian Parlati in the men's -90kg, losing his final in a very controversial way against the Japanese Murao) and 1 bronze medal (Antonio Esposito in the men's -81kg)...

it was quite some time that we didn't get such kind of success in a grand slam tournament...

the new set of rules and interpretation about the shido sucks big time and the refs this week have been too inconsistent in applying them, having too much of a bad influence on many bouts...

finally, we can easily avoid wasting time to set up the men's +100kg class in Paris...the true Teddy Riner is back...and he's a man on a mission...

never seen him so fit and focused in a "normal" tournament...

he was simply devastating, destroying his opponents as he used to do in his prime...

I'd never thought he could be back in this kind of shape after his performance in Tokyo...chapeu to one of the greatest athletes in the whole world of sport...:hatoff:

here you can find the full set of results of the Budapest event:

https://live.ijf.org/gs_hun2022/results

3 hours ago, phelps said:

for the joy :rolleyes: :p of my dear friend @MHSN Saeid Mollaei can still deliver after the new "Mercenary for justice" episode...ops...I mean...the new change of Nationality to Azerbaijan...this time he was second, beaten only in the gold medal fight by the Brazilian Guilherme Schmidt...

yeah that's great news for all those who care about human right blah blah. the hero escaped from the Genghis khan land (where they wanted to ate him alive) and landed somewhere else to continue his fight for human right and separating Sport from politics. he finally met his long time lover Sagi Muki on Tatami. hopefully they marry someday and have kids.

I used to follow his results but don't give a shit anymore. he can go to hell. our sport has bigger problems to be worried about. but this is still amazing how he sold his story to the world. I assume people will believe anything negative about Iran instantly without even using their brain. (partially thanks to the corrupt regime we have in charge)

I don't know about other places, but I can tell you that our TV (their play-by-play commentator, at least) is still selling that story each and every time Mollaei is on the mat...:facepalm:

one day I'm sending them a message to stop this narrative, as it's become irritating (it would be even if the story was more than true, which we know it isn't)...:nopompom:

• 3 months later...

:UAE Abu Dhabi Grand Slam, Day #1

without any Japanese player (nor most of the main contenders at the recent world championships) at the start of the tournament, as expected, there was a good spread of medals among many Countries.

in particular, the 5 Gold medals went to 5 different Nations: :ITA:FRA:KOR:ESP:GEO 

:ITA also won a silver and 2 bronze medals, therefore they lead the medal table so far.

the tournament continues Tomorrow, according to the usual schedule.

Day #1 Results Recap

https://www.ijf.org/competition/2309/results

Unfortunately the Team GB men seem to be really struggling to make much headway in Abu Dhabi with Moorhead and Powell failing to make it through their first match whilst Ham and Fryer losing in the second round.

Difficult to see how you can qualify for Paris if all you're picking up is participation points. The guys are going to need to pull out some big performances in 2023.