website statistics

Road to Beijing 2022 Poll #11 | What were your favourite Winter Olympic Games in the past?

What were your favourite Winter Olympic Games in the past?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What were your favourite Winter Olympic Games in the past?

• PyeongChang 2018
    • Sochi 2014
    • Vancouver 2010
    • Torino 2006
    • Salt Lake City 2002
    • Nagano 1998
    • Lillehammer 1994
    • Albertville 1992
    • Calgary 1988
    • Sarajevo 1984
    • Lake Placid 1980
    • Any other

I like my fellow Canadians on the forum and probably 99.9% of the country who watches the Olympics will also say Vancouver 2010. One of the best times of my life and one of the most magical times in Canadian history. So many memorable moments from Alex Bilodeau winning our first gold on Canadian soil to Sidney Crosby scoring the "Golden Goal" to win men's hockey gold for Canada. 80% of the country tuned in to watch the gold medal hockey game between Canada and the USA. Will never get tired of watching the video below.

I voted for Turin 2006, the first time I visited the Games as a spectator. I remember every second of it. After Turin I visited Vancouver, which was pure magic. And 4 years ago I was in Pyeongchang. We achieved beautiful results, but being in Turin and Vancouver was so much more fun!

Hard choice for me. Torino was the first WOG I really watched, and I enjoyed it completely. Vancouver - I was completely hyped for and the games delivered.

Sochi first game with on demand and streaming and I could watch everything I want and like but and I also opened up to new (for me) sports. On the other hand doping scandal put it shadows over it. 

PyeongChang was nice and fine, but somehow I missed something special, maybe I got more delusional about the Olympics?

So i voted for nostalgia and Vancouver, but I like to vote ex-equo with Torino.

Vancouver 2010 in terms of the atmosphere (with a tear in the eye regarding the death of the Georgian luger). Also, Nagano will always have something special for me (my first Winter OG as a kid, staying up very early to watch luge and biathlon, only to find the events being delayed due to heavy snowfall, so ending up watching curling all night long xD), even though I remember that there were many claims about bad organization. I always liked Salt Lake City (somehow) as I remember great fights in CC, Nordic combined, Speed skating (mostly from the German perspective).

Unfortunately, the last two editions of the Winter Games are at the end of my personal ranking list. However, (I fear) Sochi and Pyeongchang will shortly be joined by this year's games as I never never ever had so less pleasant anticipation of OG in terms of the atmosphere and the host country in general.