website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022?

Alpine, Biathlon, Cross country, Ski jumping and luge are safe bets for 0. Skeleton has a very outside shot in the women's event.

Curling: 3; I expect all 3 to medal. Olympic experience will go a long way yo help the teams.

Hockey: 2; both teams should medal

Snowboarding: Grandin, big air and slopestyle for men. One woman for men is also not out of the question. 4

Freestyle skiing: Men's moguls, ski cross in both genders, half pipe men, couple of others. Expecting around 5 here 

Long track: women's team pursuit, men's 500, women's mass start. The men's long distance also intrigue me maybe a medal. 4 medals.

Short track: hard to predict. I'll go with 4 medals.

Bobsleigh: two man and four man. 2 medals.

Figure skating: one bronze in the team event. 1 medal.

So around 25. I'd be really happy if one of the first 6 sports listed pull of a medal too.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Alpine, Biathlon, Cross country, Ski jumping and luge are safe bets for 0. Skeleton has a very outside shot in the women's event.

Curling: 3; I expect all 3 to medal. Olympic experience will go a long way yo help the teams.

Hockey: 2; both teams should medal

Snowboarding: Grandin, big air and slopestyle for men. One woman for men is also not out of the question. 4

Freestyle skiing: Men's moguls, ski cross in both genders, half pipe men, couple of others. Expecting around 5 here 

Long track: women's team pursuit, men's 500, women's mass start. The men's long distance also intrigue me maybe a medal. 4 medals.

Short track: hard to predict. I'll go with 4 medals.

Bobsleigh: two man and four man. 2 medals.

Figure skating: one bronze in the team event. 1 medal.

So around 25. I'd be really happy if one of the first 6 sports listed pull of a medal too.

The first part (0 medals) I agree with.

Curling (3) Of course we expect three medals, preferably three golds. 

Hockey(2) Same.

Are you having a stroke?  :d

Snowboarding (3-8): Men's Slopstyle and Big Air could sweep.  They could also not get any medals. 

Women's slopestyle and Big Air: 0-2

Boarder cross: 0-3

Free Ski (5-7): Men's moguls, women's and men's halfpipe, ski cross always comes through (Canadian women have won every gold in this event since it started, and 5/9 medals).  Team Arials has a chance.  Ski big air, let's see what happens.  Canada has topped the Free ski the last two Olympics, and always been top-2.

Speed skating (5-8): I'm sure of Men's 500, Women's Pursuit, Women's Mass Start.  Then some mix of Men's 5000, 10000, Men's Pursuit, Women's 3000, 5000.

Short Track (2-6): I agree, hard to predict.  Canada should be in every final.  

Bobsled (2-3): Justin Kripps should get up on the podium at least in one of his events, if not both.  Women could pull out another one or two.  

Figure Skating (0-1): Probably Canada's first blank in figure skating since 1980.  The only hope is in Pairs.  A distant hope.  But hey, distant hopes came though a few times for us in this sport, like in 2006.  

I predict 25-32 medals, with around 8-10 golds.  It's a wide range because a lot of these sports (free ski, snowboard, short track) can be decided on one slip.  

For most Canadians, it comes down to the success of our hockey and curling teams.  In 2014 it was 4/4 golds.  In 2018 we got a gold, silver and bronze out of the 5.  First time without a traditional curling medal.  Not good.  Not tolerated again.  

20-22 for Germany

I hope for some surprising medals in snowboard (men's halfpipe/big air/slopestyle, women's big air), cross-country skiing (women's skiathlon) or alpine skiing.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

:GBR are officially looking for three-seven medals.  For myself I'm thinking of three curling medals of which one gold, one men's bobsleigh medal, one freestyle skiing, one snowboard cross, and at least one out-of-the-blue surprise from somewhere unlikely. 

3 hours ago, orangeman said:

Figure Skating (0-1): Probably Canada's first blank in figure skating since 1980.  The only hope is in Pairs.  A distant hope.  But hey, distant hopes came though a few times for us in this sport, like in 2006. 

Canada's best medal chance outside of the team event is in ice dance. It's an extremely close fight for the bronze medal in ice dance between Giles / Poirier and the top two American pairs. If Canada doesn't get a medal in the team event (I'd say Japan is the slight favourite for bronze, but Canada can win a medal if everyone performs well) I think Giles and Poirier will be the clear sentimental favourite to win bronze in ice dance, and in ice dance things like that matter when two or more teams are essentially evenly matches (see also: Virtue and Moir in Pyeongchang, who were undoubtedly helped by the crowd and by being drawn last in the free dance).

:NED Medal hopes in only three sports:

Skeleton women 0-1

Shorttrack 0-3 (women's relay, 1000 and 1500 meter; men no chance, but hey, it's shorttrack, so basically everyone can win like Bradbury)

Speedskating 8-12 (women's teampursuit, 1000, 1500, 3000, 5000 and massstart; men's teampursuit, 1000, 1500, 5000)

I predict something between 8 and 16 medals. 

On paper Japan is the favourite over Canada for the bronze medal in the team event, but given the format where only placing matters a lot can change if one member just barely beats out or misses against a close competitor.

Japan is better in the men's and women's singles while Canada is better in the pairs (hopefully) and ice dancing so it'll come down to whoever can get more nations in between the other nation and whether or not the other nations will use their best athletes in both rounds.