website statistics

Men's Volleyball CEV European Championship 2019

Totallympics

2 hours ago, dcro said:

I had a boat ride on Ljubljanica this spring. It is a very lovely place. :d

I cycled past Apeldoorn last month, boring place, lovely area around it (the best of the country) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

I cycled past Apeldoorn last month, boring place, lovely area around it (the best of the country) :p 

While I was in Ljubljana, I also saw several countdowns for Euro Volley. And until today, I genuienly thought Slovenia was the sole host...

But no, it's yet another bullshit million non-bordering hosts thing. :nopompom:

#banbestmen

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Apperently, there will be only 3,000 spectators tonight for the first France home game in Montpellier

Yeah, even N'gapeth said Montpellier is hardly a volleyball city :(  If that's the case, this is a really weird choice of host by French Volleyball Federation, I think there were far better options...plus on paper Romania is not the most exciting opponent (no ofence to anyone).  Still, from what I saw at the :GRE vs :BUL match the attendance wasn't that bad, especially since the match was played at 14:00 in the middle of the week, so we'll see.

Edited by VolleyRuller96

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

à l’instant, VolleyRuller96 a dit :

Yeah, even N'gapeth said Montpellier is hardly a volleyball city :(  If that's the case, this is a really weird choice of host by French Volleyball Federation, I think there were far better options...plus on paper Romania is not the most exciting opponent (no ofence to anyone).  Still, from what I saw at the :GRE vs :BUL match the attendance wasn't that bad, especially since the match was played at 14:00 in the middle of the week, so we'll see.

Well, historically it's a volleyball city. They have been playing in first league for probably ever. It was a reasonable choice considering the size of the Arena (9-10K) and its history withe sport.

It just shows the lack of popularity of volleyball in this country... 

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Well, historically it's a volleyball city. They have been playing in first league for probably ever. It was a reasonable choice considering the size of the Arena (9-10K) and its history withe sport.

It just shows the lack of popularity of volleyball in this country... 

But ultimately though, I think it is good for Volleyball that countries such as France or Slovenia get to host important events. The truth is, in most European countries, even when it comes to just team sports, volley is at best 3rd tier discipline (after football and basketball), and in many countries sports such as Handball or Ice Hockey are way more popular. I think this Championship may be an opportunity to introduce new fans to the sport, and it's a much better option than continuously having Poland, Japan or Italy host all important events.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

I highly doubt it works that way, Sure, you may very well reach new people during the event, but then what ? How do you transform these casual spectators into fans of the sport all year long ? At the very least you need a plan of action to do so (and i can assure you there is no such a plan in french vb HQs).

19 minutes ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

But ultimately though, I think it is good for Volleyball that countries such as France or Slovenia get to host important events. The truth is, in most European countries, even when it comes to just team sports, volley is at best 3rd tier discipline (after football and basketball), and in many countries sports such as Handball or Ice Hockey are way more popular. I think this Championship may be an opportunity to introduce new fans to the sport, and it's a much better option than continuously having Poland, Japan or Italy host all important events.

Not that I would disagree to see Italy hosting through ten years all major events in both genders :p but it makes sense what you wrote. Probably, however, FIVB has slightly exaggerated with 4 hosts. 2 would be better, also for spreading sport