website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2022

Totallympics

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Alize Cornet wins on her 32nd birthday and advances to R4. Still no GS QF for her and it might be impossible with Simona Halep next up.

Her first and only other Australian Open R4 was 2009. She was 19 then and had two match points but lost. Very nice that after so many years she was able to make it back.

Sakkari lost :cry:

I also wanted Azarenka and Badosa so I am sad that they lost although I don't mind Krejcikova and Keys either.

I'm very happy that Zverev lost. Sorry, I don't like him.

Dimitra Pavlou of Greece lost in juniors. She had two set points in the second set but could not convert them. Anyways, I mention her because she is actually the first cousin of Maria Sakkari. I know I said it once before, but I think it's cool how much their family is involved in Greek tennis. Angeliki Kanellopoulou (Maria's mother/Dimitra's aunt) was also a top 50 player in the 1980s. 50% of Greece's top 100 WTA players are from the same family, as we only had two others besides Maria and Angeliki.

However, our big talent in the girls' tournament is not Pavlou but Michaela Laki, who is the 6th seed here and won her match yesterday. She is also playing doubles with Dimitra Pavlou.