website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2022

Totallympics

19 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

There are quite a lot of Serbs in Aus, but I don’t know if they occupy crucial swing constituences.

Yeah, I'm well aware of the Balkan diaspora in Australia but I assume the local politicians want to appease the Aboriginal voters more? I have no idea how the ethnicity numbers look like in the urban states (Victoria, Queensland or NSW).

41 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I'm well aware of the Balkan diaspora in Australia but I assume the local politicians want to appease the Aboriginal voters more? I have no idea how the ethnicity numbers look like in the urban states (Victoria, Queensland or NSW).

🙄

yeah that is the crucial 3% 

and even if so, it is their country 

Dont get why Aboriginal or not would play any role in this case. As far as I saw, backlash from AU citizens was almost general (except maybe part of ethnic Serbs in Australia), irrespective of ethnic background.

Agree with those who say the main responsibility is with the politicians.

Probably the reasoning was “we need the No 1 to come here and play no matter what, hopefully the rubes will not notice he is not vaccinated”. Well it turned out differently.

Even said that, the martyrology built around Djokovic by some (such as his father) was laughable. His suffering is comparable to Jesus’s, of course LMAO. Wonder when the compulsory Nazi Germany / concentration camp analogy will come (among Covidiots in particular it is fashionable after all with regards to everything Covid)

On the topic of the Australian Open (if we're allowed to talk about this yet :d), it looks like we will have the most Greeks ever at a Grand Slam tournament.

We had 5 Greeks across all categories at the 2021 US Open, I think that might have been the previous record until now. As long as nobody withdraws, we have 7 Greeks so far and possibly 8 (if Petros Tsitsipas gets another doubles wildcard :lol:).

Stefanos Tsitsipas in men's main draw and Theodoros Mitsakos in boys' qualifying, Maria Sakkari in women's main draw, Valentini Grammatikopoulou and Despina Papamichail in women's qualifying, Michaela Laki in girls' main draw, and Dimitra Pavlou in girls' qualifying.

At the 2014 US Open we had zero representatives in any category, so it's nice to see how much progress we have made since then. Also interesting to note that Pavlou is Sakkari's first cousin and this will be her first time at a Grand Slam.