website statistics

Athletics at the Asian Games 2018

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

Kindly check the birthplace of Bahraini and Qatari medallists. How many are Asian? 

Birthplace alone doesn't define nationality, but kindly check the birthplace and biography of the people you were referring to...a Yemeni-Qatari is not African (and he wouldn't be African even if all of his teammates were Kenyans who switched allegiance to Qatar at the age of 30).

For me the line is drawn depending on where the athlete was developed in his/her sport. If x country didn't have anything to do with the formation as an athlete of the person in question then for me that country is feeding from the system of another country.  

With this criteria for example Duplantis is (or should have been) american, while someone like Mo Farah is clearly british.

4 hours ago, Dolby said:

And you have number 17.  Keyhani defeats the Africans in 300m SC :clap:

I just watched the race again, without commentator this time. right after winning the race he talks to camera "this is Asia, there is no place for Africans here" :d

41 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Birthplace alone doesn't define nationality, but kindly check the birthplace and biography of the people you were referring to...a Yemeni-Qatari is not African (and he wouldn't be African even if all of his teammates were Kenyans who switched allegiance to Qatar at the age of 30).

The favourite for that race was John Koech (Kenyan). Apart from eventual medallists, Koech, Hashim (Sudan) and Evans (Kenya) were part of the top group till the Iranian shifted gears. So, my comment included these players as well. And I admit that I wrongly assumed Yaser to be African as well and for that I am sorry. Also, kudos to Qatar for having atleast one Asian medallist. 

Also, it doesn't change the fact that Qatar and Bahrain have changed the Asian Games to Afro-Asian Games. In fact I propose that next edition of Asian Atletics Championships should be held in Nairobi to save transportation costs for the athletes. 

3 hours ago, Dolby said:

Also, kudos to Qatar for having atleast one Asian medallist. 

Qatar has 7 medallists: 3 born in Asia, 2 moved to Qatar when they were 15 and lived and trained there for the last 7-9 years (so Qatar played a huge part in their development), I don't know about the other two, but 5 medallists don't deserve to be called "not Asian". Bahrein has more athletes that switched allegiance later in life. In athletics there's also quite a difference, but it's easier to claim that Africans stole gold medals from Asians (Indians) and so be it.

46 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Qatar has 7 medallists: 3 born in Asia, 2 moved to Qatar when they were 15 and lived and trained there for the last 7-9 years (so Qatar played a huge part in their development), I don't know about the other two, but 5 medallists don't deserve to be called "not Asian". Bahrein has more athletes that switched allegiance later in life. In athletics there's also quite a difference, but it's easier to claim that Africans stole gold medals from Asians (Indians) and so be it.

while I do believe a deliberate program to get the best youngsters from various  countries and then make them run for your country makes a mockery of the "asian" games .......but I must say this makes atheletics at the asian games at a world class level which it was not before .............

was so very proud of Indian who in this world class field are doing well 

Dharun -> 48.96  in 400mh ( would have got him possibly a final place in Rio )  ,

Hima - > 50.79 in womens 400 ( would have got her 6th place in Rio )      

tejinder 20.75 in shot - a possible 6th place in rio ,

neerajs -88.06 in javelin would have been a bronze at the Rio olympics 

Neena -6.51 - just about the qualifying mark at the rio olympics 

and I ma sure our relays would also beenfit from this especially the 4*400 - 3 relays ....... would love to see the time 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

48 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

while I do believe a deliberate program to get the best youngsters from various  countries and then make them run for your country makes a mockery of the "asian" games .......but I must say this makes atheletics at the asian games at a world class level which it was not before .............

was so very proud of Indian who in this world class field are doing well 

Dharun -> 48.96  in 400mh ( would have got him possibly a final place in Rio )  ,

Hima - > 50.79 in womens 400 ( would have got her 6th place in Rio )      

tejinder 20.75 in shot - a possible 6th place in rio ,

neerajs -88.06 in javelin would have been a bronze at the Rio olympics 

Neena -6.51 - just about the qualifying mark at the rio olympics 

and I ma sure our relays would also beenfit from this especially the 4*400 - 3 relays ....... would love to see the time 

Not only Qatar does steal or let's say take young African talents , the whole world do so and it won't stop as long as these athletes can't find a good life at their homes , but i should take the other point of view what would these athletes do if they didn't travel and stayed in Sudan , Mauritania , yemen or even Egypt as long as We don't care about athletics i don't seriously know why , they wouldn't have reached this level , they wouldn't have been given these world class coaches , world class facilities , so it's really complicated topic but i do unterstand why you are angry , last thing i'm really impressed by the Indian program in Athletics and iam sure that this program will fastly provide very big results on international level 

Edited by thepharoah