website statistics

Shooting 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The Canadian government introduced a new bill to essentially ban guns in Canada. This will effectively kill the sport here. Curious to see how other countries deal with gun?

The sport was already on life support in Canada. The changes in qualification already negatively impacts us since there are so few world quotas now. Throw in the fact that other Pan American nations are increasing their quality and I wouldn't be surprised if Canada fails to qualify anyone in 2024.

18 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The Canadian government introduced a new bill to essentially ban guns in Canada. This will effectively kill the sport here. Curious to see how other countries deal with gun?

I don´t know, this should not have any impact on the matter, for example it never was a deal here. We are quite good in this sport despite the guns are not easy to take here at all. :p You need to undergo various tests to receive a gun license, it apply also for athletes in gun-sports 

20 minutes ago, intoronto said:

:AUS is another country with strict gun laws, but they still have sport shooters, and even held shooting as part of the Commonwealth Games.

From what I read this morning, it doesn’t sound like the laws pushed by Trudeau really target the weapons used in sport shooting at the Olympic/Pan Am/Commonwealth level. Most of those events use shotguns, small bore rifles, and air guns, which weren’t a part of the proposed legislation as far as I can tell. The BBC even had this quote from Trudeau, “Other than using firearms for sport shooting and hunting, there is no reason anyone in Canada should need guns in their everyday lives.” 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

if Italy wins all those medals with our laws, it's the best example that weapons are not needed outside the shooting range to become a good shooter (or just to start the sport of shooting)...;)

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

if Italy wins all those medals with our laws, it's the best example that weapons are not needed outside the shooting range to become a good shooter (or just to start the sport of shooting)...;)

But then again, San Marino is pretty liberal with guns and they get the best results per capita. :p

#banbestmen