website statistics

Rowing 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 1 month later...

:GRE Stergios Papachristos has returned to the sport and will join the Greek national team's training camp this week :yikes:

He last rowed in 2012 when he finished 4th in the men's four at the London Olympics. He was 23 years old at the time.

In his career he won two silver medals in the men's four at the World Championships (2010 at age 21, and 2011 at age 22). He also won three European Championship medals in the men's four (gold in 2009 and 2011, silver in 2010). At the World U23 Championships, he won gold in 2009 in the men's pair and bronze in 2010 in the men's single sculls.

Greece has unfortunately had many similar cases in rowing where these great young athletes with many medals disappeared from the sport, so it's really a nice surprise to see him come back. He would be 35 years old in Paris, I really hope to see him there and also hope that many more of these lost Greek rowing talents can follow him and also come back to the sport.

• 1 month later...

It’s The Boat Race on Sunday.  So called because it is the only sporting event in the World where humans race each other in boats.   Anyway, Oxford v Cambridge Men’s Race & Women’s Race, always with a good chance of both sinkings & collisions.  Back in its rightful place for the first time since 2019.

If you’re a fan of of any other Universities you’ll have to wait for the NCAAs or the Henley Regatta.

11 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

If you’re a fan of of any other Universities you’ll have to wait for the NCAAs or the Henley Regatta.

I guess I should follow the NCAAs due to the large participation of Greek national team members :d

Ohio State (Kyridou sisters), Washington (Tsamopoulou), Yale (Bourmpou) and Texas (Christodoulidis) seem to be among the best teams. Michigan State (Agioti), Oklahoma (Pergouli) and Tulsa (Mitsi and Lamprianidou) also have Greeks.

I know that Christodoulidis was in the boat with Texas that won last year. Tsamopoulou won it a previous year with Washington (Asoumanaki who finished 4th in Rio W2X was also on that team but she graduated).

Strangely there aren't many Greek men in NCAA, mostly just women.

9 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I guess I should follow the NCAAs due to the large participation of Greek national team members :d

Ohio State (Kyridou sisters), Washington (Tsamopoulou), Yale (Bourmpou) and Texas (Christodoulidis) seem to be among the best teams. Michigan State (Agioti), Oklahoma (Pergouli) and Tulsa (Mitsi and Lamprianidou) also have Greeks.

I know that Christodoulidis was in the boat with Texas that won last year. Tsamopoulou won it a previous year with Washington (Asoumanaki who finished 4th in Rio W2X was also on that team but she graduated).

Strangely there aren't many Greek men in NCAA, mostly just women.

it's not that strange...it's well known that women are better students than men...:lol: :facepalm:

by the way, on the ESPN Player there are also a lot of NCAA Rowing meets...

it's a real "must have" for those who like to follow the NCAA sports (and not only the NCAA)...

5 hours ago, Makedonas said:

@phelps Elisa Mondelli is the sister of Filippo?

yes, she's the younger sister of the poor Filippo...

she's 23 years young and her first appearance with our NT was at the European Champs in Varese last year, when she was 14th in the single sculls...

• 1 month later...

The European U19 Championships will take place next weekend in Italy. 

Entries by country: https://worldrowing.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2022-ERU19CH-Entry-by-Country.pdf

Obviously no Russia or Belarus. Germany and Great Britain sending very small teams which is surprising. Also no Ireland, Spain or the Netherlands...

Some new faces in the Greek team including three 15 yo boys and one 14 yo girl :yikes:

I'm surprised our new young talent Dimitra-Eleni Kontou didn't get selected, it looks like she is only going to be competing in women's and U23 regattas this year which is a shame because I'd like to see her win something in her own age group first. Also I'd be surprised if we didn't win medals in at least three of our four women's boats. Disappointing that we didn't send a women's four as we have medaled in that event the last two years, and we still have two girls from last year's boat that are eligible for this category again but didn't get selected...

It starts tomorrow. Kontou (who is 16 yo) was not selected for this as I said and I see she was selected for next weekend's World Cup I in Belgrade. She is heavily rated but seems a bit young to be skipping the European U19s for a senior event where she probably won't do well against much older and stronger athletes...