website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

But they're still living in this delusional myth. Surfing in real life is boring as hell. 30 minutes of waiting for the wave. Yawn. This is a sport that only looks good in highlights. Cross country mass starts are more exciting than surfing tbh. I wonder how long it takes before they realize they're not winning any new fans? Skateboarding was cool with Tony Hawk in the 90s. Not anymore. Adults usually don't watch kids sports unless they are parents of kids taking part. I assume esports is the only way to salvage the new fans. And it's quite a turnaorund since I remember when I was a teenager playing too much video games was seen as detrimental to athletic shape, all that talk about raising a bunch of obese people with eyesight trouble. Fast forward 25 years and it's suddenly an Olympic sport in the making? :lol:

On 6/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, eights is one of the events I look forward to watching at the Olympics.

It doesn't help that the event struggles to attract more than 10 nations at the World Cup/Championship level. If one of the requirements is for the event to have "universal appeal" it's not hard to claim that eights does not have that.

Surprised they haven't suggested a mixed eights as an alternative given the IOC's love of such events.

Some rare good news - Seemingly the World Cup Finals from Ankara are going to be live on the Olympic Channel this weekend.  Women's & Men's on Saturday, Mixed Relay on Sunday.

Sport Events - Sports Calendar, Schedule & Replays (olympics.com)

Actually enjoyed the new format, made for a much neater TV package. If only more people could see it!

To remind everyone, new format is:

Semi-final produces 18 athletes in the final.

Fencing Round Robin the day before.

Then on final day everything on one site.

Show Jumping

Fencing Knock-Out

Swimming in portable 25m pool.

Laser-run is now more biathlon-like with 5 600m runs & 4 shoots, so athletes run a lap, then shoot & run a lap after the last shoot.

From that point of view it is indeed enjoyable. The thing is - no specific warm-up for specific discipline. Forget about beating the records in swimming. The athletes say the seeding for swimming series according to pentathlon result is also against their performance - when you swim along with people on a similar level, you battle them, when you have such differences you don't really have any reference point. They also say it doesn't look good in TV with such huge difference, but I say it finally shows how swimming is part of pentathlon instead of just a single discipline.

15 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

From that point of view it is indeed enjoyable. The thing is - no specific warm-up for specific discipline. Forget about beating the records in swimming. The athletes say the seeding for swimming series according to pentathlon result is also against their performance - when you swim along with people on a similar level, you battle them, when you have such differences you don't really have any reference point. They also say it doesn't look good in TV with such huge difference, but I say it finally shows how swimming is part of pentathlon instead of just a single discipline.

Also, there is no way you are ever going to set a decent time in a temporary pool, rather than a fixed one.

32 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Also, there is no way you are ever going to set a decent time in a temporary pool, rather than a fixed one.

The Pentathlon Stadium just makes an impression of WOW! I was in Budapest at 2019 WCH - it gives you this WOW, that it's possible to make such a job.

From the practical point of view - it's on the same side as Beijing 2008 or Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremonies.

19 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

The Pentathlon Stadium just makes an impression of WOW! I was in Budapest at 2019 WCH - it gives you this WOW, that it's possible to make such a job.

From the practical point of view - it's on the same side as Beijing 2008 or Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremonies.

I was thinking: if I won the lottery, could someone build one in my garden?

More about the obstacle race. Basically, it is a hostile annexation of an Olympic sport by a non-Olympic sport.

“Tomorrow they will all have the chance to race over the course, built on site in collaboration with World Obstacle (FISO) and Tokyo Broadcasting System Television (TBS), which owns the rights to the hugely popular SASUKE / Ninja Warrior TV show, and Spartan Race, the world’s largest obstacle event producer with over 5 million finishers.”

https://www.uipmworld.org/news/new-pentathlon-discipline-test-event-i-all-you-need-know