website statistics
Jump to content

Modern Pentathlon 2022 Discussion Thread


Totallympics
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Canoeing and sailing at least have the ability to be shrunk (and in canoeing's case able to drop slalom). Modern pentathlon can't shrink without disappearing.

Slalom is more TV friendly than Sprint, which is why they added two more slalom events while they removed the two 200m sprint events. So yeah, there's no way that they are dropping slalom. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Slalom is more TV friendly than Sprint, which is why they added two more slalom events while they removed the two 200m sprint events. So yeah, there's no way that they are dropping slalom. 

While I agree, slalom does have a large elephant in the room called venue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slalom canoe existed before the Olympics. It’ll be fine. Likewise sailing. The Americas Cup is bigger than the Olympics and there’ll always be rich people wanting to sail

 

Modern Pentathlon genuinely is in trouble of collapsing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, every single one of our canoeing specialists had to change their discipline, European and World Champions had to forget about sprints and learn longer distances, jump into different boats, never having canoed in doubles or fours.

 

Then, this whole modern-pentathlon shake up in which we have a long and successful history.

 

It feels like this is a master plan to sabotage Lithuania, with many of our strategic sports under fire. 

 

I don't care about making Olympics more hip with the youth, I was young when I fell in love with the Olympics and I don't particularly feel that the event catered to me, because it didn't have to. Rollerskating, skateboarding, wall-climbing, golfing, breakdancing, 13yo gold medalists... it's just ughhh making this a joke for me.

 

Don't blink, they'll find a way to ruin Athletics, Rowing and Swimming for me too.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah yes, the youthful and hip sport of golf. :p

 

I think the IOC needs to concede to either cut sports/events or increase the total number of athletes to around 12,000. That's how many athletes we needed once they made the (correct) decision to expand women's sports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Don't blink, they'll find a way to ruin Athletics, Rowing and Swimming for me too.

 

The IOC is trying really hard to get rid of eights. We'll probably lose one of the four person boats soon too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obstacle course? My lord this is some bad shit. Guess the urban events are being sold as the new future. What a load of croc. Just kill this sport already. I have a feeling it will die within the next five years anyway. Rope swing? American Gladiators had more innovation 30 years ago than this shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Werloc said:

First, every single one of our canoeing specialists had to change their discipline, European and World Champions had to forget about sprints and learn longer distances, jump into different boats, never having canoed in doubles or fours.

 

Then, this whole modern-pentathlon shake up in which we have a long and successful history.

 

It feels like this is a master plan to sabotage Lithuania, with many of our strategic sports under fire. 

 

I don't care about making Olympics more hip with the youth, I was young when I fell in love with the Olympics and I don't particularly feel that the event catered to me, because it didn't have to. Rollerskating, skateboarding, wall-climbing, golfing, breakdancing, 13yo gold medalists... it's just ughhh making this a joke for me.

 

Don't blink, they'll find a way to ruin Athletics, Rowing and Swimming for me too.

 

 

Welcome to the club

 

SVK Olympic strength (Rio 2016 :SVK medals)

 

4 Medals (2-2-0)

 

Gold:  Canoe Slalom C2 (the pride of Slovak sport and Olympics glory) ---------  Evaporated from the program and non-existing discipline anymore

Silver:  Canoe Sprint K4-1000m --------------- non-olympic anymore

Gold:   Race Walking 50km ............................. Non-existing anymore

 

Silver:   the only remaining is Canoe Slalom M C1 ...... waiting for extinction, because, you know, apparently you must build a venue for this since the river is not enough anymore

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...