website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

Welcome to the club

SVK Olympic strength (Rio 2016 :SVK medals)

4 Medals (2-2-0)

Gold:  Canoe Slalom C2 (the pride of Slovak sport and Olympics glory) ---------  Evaporated from the program and non-existing discipline anymore

Silver:  Canoe Sprint K4-1000m --------------- non-olympic anymore

Gold:   Race Walking 50km ............................. Non-existing anymore

Silver:   the only remaining is Canoe Slalom M C1 ...... waiting for extinction, because, you know, apparently you must build a venue for this since the river is not enough anymore

Ya but the IOC added the youthful, urban and gender equal sport of golf to increase :SVK's medal output.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

We are at 10500 athletes now. I doubt there will be further cuts

Congratulations, you just cursed everyone.

They'll find a way to round it down to 10000 now :lol: 

Can't wait for Squid Game to become an Olympic sport in 2032 

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

Ya but the IOC added the youthful, urban and gender equal sport of golf to increase :SVK's medal output.

I can bet my house IOC never imagined they go help Slovakia with this move, until the boy from Bratislava came with his last round 11 birdies  :lol:

2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I can bet my house IOC never imagined they go help Slovakia with this move, until the boy from Bratislava came with his last round 11 birdies  :lol:

Hey now, he’s the Silver Slovak now :P

(This will never stop being funny to me)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 3:59 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

The IOC is trying really hard to get rid of eights. We'll probably lose one of the four person boats soon too.

Wasn't aware of that! Would not be happy at what I think of as one of the blue riband events being discarded. 

36 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Wasn't aware of that! Would not be happy at what I think of as one of the blue riband events being discarded. 

Yeah, eights is one of the events I look forward to watching at the Olympics.

It doesn't help that the event struggles to attract more than 10 nations at the World Cup/Championship level. If one of the requirements is for the event to have "universal appeal" it's not hard to claim that eights does not have that.

If Modern Pentathlon will not be on the program for 2028, it's basically only downhill from there and curtains closed. I can understand the problems that Equestrian have given in general - the Schleu/Raisner incident was just a culmination of already existing problems (although there was also some incident in the Cross Country competition, right? WIll something be revised there?)

Honestly, I even can accept that Equestrian is dropped from Modern Pentathlon. But it gives me a little bit of a bitter taste that one of the (for me) most iconic sports is at the end of the life cycle. I know it doesn't have that much general appeal and that it has much problems within different countries to settle itself as a proper sport, but I'm a total sucker for combined events and this is the most true combined event, although the current laser run already does have less appeal than shooting and a run afterwards.

But they always need to destroy these kind of things to get the 'appeal of the youth', which you won't get anyway with the Break dance events, by the way. 

3 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

If Modern Pentathlon will not be on the program for 2028, it's basically only downhill from there and curtains closed. I can understand the problems that Equestrian have given in general - the Schleu/Raisner incident was just a culmination of already existing problems (although there was also some incident in the Cross Country competition, right? WIll something be revised there?)

Honestly, I even can accept that Equestrian is dropped from Modern Pentathlon. But it gives me a little bit of a bitter taste that one of the (for me) most iconic sports is at the end of the life cycle. I know it doesn't have that much general appeal and that it has much problems within different countries to settle itself as a proper sport, but I'm a total sucker for combined events and this is the most true combined event, although the current laser run already does have less appeal than shooting and a run afterwards.

But they always need to destroy these kind of things to get the 'appeal of the youth', which you won't get anyway with the Break dance events, by the way. 

Agree: all they are doing is annoying loyal fans without attracting any new ones.