website statistics

Badminton 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

Coaches Mulyo, Tan Kim Her to be again in India by year-end

I so happened to read a lot of news like this online. Somehow it is already 1st January 2022 and yet both these coaches are nowhere to be seen in India. So is it referring to end of year 2022 next? Strange?

Meanwhile good news here. Seems like Li Jun Hui never retired from playing badminton. He is now a professional badminton player and has signed a deal with Victor as his main sponsor. Hope to see him playing in international tournament as independent player soon.

upload_2022-1-1_14-6-1 (1).png

According to Jawa Pos, Indonesian national team allegedly has removed Praveen Jordan, Melati Daeva Oktavianti, and Gloria Emanuelle Widjaja from the mixed doubles department. PBSI officials and coaches are all tight-lipped regarding this rumor.

On 1/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, up and down said:

Coaches Mulyo, Tan Kim Her to be again in India by year-end

I so happened to read a lot of news like this online. Somehow it is already 1st January 2022 and yet both these coaches are nowhere to be seen in India. So is it referring to end of year 2022 next? Strange?

From what I can gather, Mulyo's contract with Singapore team is till Jan or Feb. Only after that is over, we will get an official confirmation on where he is headed next. 

P.S. Double Olympic medallist Yong Sung Yoo has joined Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy as head coach. 

6 hours ago, Dolby said:

From what I can gather, Mulyo's contract with Singapore team is till Jan or Feb. Only after that is over, we will get an official confirmation on where he is headed next. 

P.S. Double Olympic medallist Yong Sung Yoo has joined Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy as head coach. 

Thank you very much for your clarification.

Here is the latest update.

Mulyo Handoyo said he is going back to Indonesia to take care of his family after his contract with Singapore ended.

https://www.pressreader.com/singapore/the-straits-times/20220106/282475712172630

LOH KEAN YEW, Singapore’s badminton world champion, on his outgoing mentor Mulyo Handoyo.

Coach Mulyo has helped me become a better player, sharing a lot of his experiences with me and teaching me the importance of consistency.

Having guided Singapore’s top shuttlers to a world title and career-high rankings, national badminton singles head coach Mulyo Handoyo will step down from his post, after a successful four-year stint that will end on Feb 4.

While he appears to be headed to India after Badminton Association of India (BAI) secretary Ajay Singhania told local media that the 60-year-old Indonesian had applied for the men’s singles coach position to replace Agus Dwi Santoso, Mulyo clarified that his priority was to spend time with his family after being away from them for an extended period due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

He told The Straits Times: “I have been away from the family for far too long and I would like to spend some time with my mother, who is now 87 years old, before I decide on the next steps.

“I came to Singapore with the objective of developing the national players into world-class players. Recent results have shown that there are talents in Singapore, and the SBA (Singapore Badminton Association) has the capability to help the players get there, and I’m happy to have helped lay a strong foundation for my colleagues to build on.”

The SBA said it is looking for a new singles head coach “who can continue the strong development of the players in the system and create a positive structure and culture for them to progress”.

Mulyo had earlier coached Singapore from 2001 to 2004 and guided Ronald Susilo to a careerhigh world ranking of sixth.

He later nurtured countryman Taufik Hidayat, who went on to become the Olympic champion at Athens 2004.

He signed a three-year contract with the BAI in 2017 and helped Kidambi Srikanth to four Super Series titles that year, but joined the SBA nine months later.

His Midas touch worked for Singapore as Loh Kean Yew won silver at the 2019 SEA Games in the Philippines before exploding into life last year, winning the men’s singles world title, while Yeo Jia Min was runner-up in the Hylo Open in Germany and made the Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Finals.

Both players qualified for the Tokyo Olympics and broke into the world’s top 20, while secondstringers Jason Teh and Jaslyn Hooi also cracked the top 100 for the first time in their fledgling careers.

Men’s doubles duo Loh Kean Hean and Terry Hee and mixed doubles pair Hee and Tan Wei Han were also victorious on the BWF circuit last year.

“There are good players in Singapore, and they need to take on more responsibility and ownership of their training and performance... if more of them want to become more competitive on the world stage,” said Mulyo.

World No. 15 Loh Kean Yew was saddened by his mentor’s decision but wished him all the best.

The 24-year-old said: “Coach Mulyo has helped me become a better player, sharing a lot of his experiences with me and teaching me the importance of consistency.”

SBA chief executive officer Alan Ow said the association must now build on its recent success to take local badminton to another level, and will assess its options before deciding on the future of the national coaching set-up.

For the time being, national singles coach Kelvin Ho and junior squad coach Lim Theam Teow will “continue Mulyo’s good work”.

Ow added: “The pandemic has had a profound impact on people from all walks of life, and circumstances are especially challenging for people who are away from their families. Hence, we respect Mulyo’s decision to return to his family in Indonesia.

“He has made significant contributions in raising the standards of our players to another level. The coaching team also learnt so much from him.”

Good tournament so far for :NOR :IRL . Both have 1 and 2 quarterfinalist respectively with the former running into Ahsan/Setiawan and the latter have 2 chances  could be a first semifinal finish in Super 500. Nhat Nguyen looks good enough to be one of the top players in men's singles for :IRL.

Spoiler

Ignore the depleted field 

:MAS most famous player Lee Zii Jia quits from national team and being a professional player. His move angers Malaysian badminton federation and it declared it will not help Lee register any BWF events for two years as long as it requires registration by national federation.  

But its decision is allow to appeal so I guess these two parts are still bargaining.